Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early bird

Tinker1
New Arrival

I really like the idea of Southwest limiting EBCI to just A positions and not allowing people to purchase EBCI if there are no A boarding positions left.  I agree it is very disappointing to pay extra for EBCI only to get a B boarding pass.  

wynno
New Arrival

Read before you buy. It works as advertised.

How could anyone think it guarantees you an A position? There's ~140 seats on a 737. The first 45 (not counting A1-15) check-ins according to the algorithm will get in the A group. The closer your purchase is to flight time the lower your odds are of getting an A position. If you wait until T-minus 48 hours know that you are paying $15 to throw a pair of dice. If B-45 is the next open seat then YOU WIN...you beat the person who got B-46.

I have been flying SW-only since 2014 (after growing to HATE every other airline), and every one of my Early Bird purchases (probably 60 flights) got me an A slot. I think my highest one was ~A50. To increase your odds for a positive outcome buy your tickets EARLY (months not days in advance), and buy your Early Bird along with your tickets.

It is another crap shoot, but if there are A1-15 seats available you can buy those just before boarding for...40?? bucks maybe. I've done that twice because my A position was too high, and I was so exhausted that I was willing to throw money at anyone who would take it to get on and

off ASAP.

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

EarlyBird checks you in automatically (most of the time, anyway), and not much else. You are always paying $15 to throw a pair of dice. 

The amount of complaints corresponds to the amount B (and even C) positions being issued. And it's increased recently. I'd expect another price increase will follow.

Jozzmenia
New Arrival
I can agree it wouldn't necessarily give you A position if you purchased last minute, but it definitely should put you before people who checked in manually.

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@Jozzmenia wrote:
I can agree it wouldn't necessarily give you A position if you purchased last minute, but it definitely should put you before people who checked in manually.

But of course, as we've discussed, sometimes it doesn't.

Southwest re-allocates the boarding positions of passengers who are checked in but then cancel or change their flight. Often these are A-Lister's, meaning the positions are quite frequently very low. The next person to check-in manually, regardless of time, gets this low position, leapfrogging them ahead of everyone who has paid the extra EarlyBird Check-In fee.

It's an unfair system, and despite frequent complaints, Southwest does nothing about it. Most likely because EarlyBird Check-in earns them well over $250 million annually.

StAugustine

I agree that buying EBCI and getting a B position is annoying. It has happened to me. But rather than closing the EBCI all together, I would like to see a popup come up that says something like

"All A positions are gone. Your boarding position will be in the B or C group. Do you still want to continue? YES NO"

Given the choice, some might want to take their chances, some may not. Personally, I buy EBCI as much for the convenience of not having to check in at a certain time (especially when I am out of town) than for the seat assignment. 

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

Southwest earned over $250 million last year on EarlyBird Check-In fees alone.

As long as people keep buying it, there will be no changes to how it functions -- with the possible exception of another fee increase ($10 > $12.50 > $15 > ?) if customer complaints regarding receiving B (and even C) positions increase to the point that there is a decrease in sales.