Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Excessive Carry On Items

floridaguy
Aviator C

I am beyond tired of people bringing excessively large items as well as more than two carry-on items into the plane.  The rules are clear and they ARE NOT being enforced by the gate agents.

I would propose that anyone who attempts to bring an oversized and/or excessive item count on the plane be moved to the end of the line and those items checked at a cost of $50/item and the grand sum of the revenue be used by Southwest to offset cost increases.

I would also propose that anyone who receives this additional cost more than three times be blocked from traveling on Southwest.

The number of grand pianos, riding mowers, outdoor sheds, compact cars and the like that people try to bring on the plane is a serious issue.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Excessive Carry On Items

dfwskier
Aviator A

uh huh...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you are so displeased with everything about Southwest why do you continue to fly Southwest? I am beyond tired of your complaining and trolling. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

The number of grand pianos, riding mowers, outdoor sheds, compact cars and the like that people try to bring on the plane is a serious issue.

lol

Seriously though, they do enforce it ... most of the time.

On one of my flights home yesterday a larger woman took the middle seat, shoved a bag barely underneath the seat, and also had a huge throw blanket (still in its packaging, you know the ones) AND a purse. 

I sat on the aisle, and it was the first time I realized that the aisle seat on a MAX 8 doesn't have nearly enough room underneath the aisle seat as the middle and window seats do. It's literally 1/2 the size. I had a carry on and also a backpack and both would not fit under the seat in front of me. So I put the backpack underneath the center seat (both would have easily fit underneath the center seat with room to spare), and then this woman comes along with her carryon bag and her giant blanket and purse. Her larger carryon bag barely fit underneath the middle seat (along with my backpack) and the blanket was literally not underneath the seat at all. It was on the floor. 

I was CONVINCED that the flight attendants would say something - but they did not. 

Our flight was also running over an hour late, so that might have factored in as well.

I remember in the past if my carryon underneath the seat was sticking out *just a little bit* they used to say something. I've learned to bring smaller carryons to compensate. 

(I like having items underneath the seat vs above because it's easier to handle.) 

--Jessica