Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Family Boarding: One Adult, 3 Kids, one 6 years old

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I would propose to Southwest that the following options be initiated:

1. Sell all seats based upon boarding position.
  2. If someone wants seats together, charge a $400 per seat surcharge and pay $300 of that to the passenger who volunteers to move their seat.

Now, you can all sit together and everyone is compensated for their trouble.

The FA will ask people to move for an $8 drink coupon, and usually get taken up on it.

They already have been doing this for years.

But feel free to send your proposal to Southwest via one of the Contact Southwest Customer Service methods.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

In all of the flights I have taken on Southwest, I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER heard of being asked to move for a drink coupon.

Nonetheless, I am quoting the Southwest policy that is posted online which was completely reinforced word for word when I called and asked.

Now, does that mean that a gate agent won't always follow the policy?  Of course.

Keep in mind that those people with higher boarding numbers do not appreciate that everyone has some special way to circumvent the system.  

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Per floridaguy: "In all of the flights I have taken on Southwest, I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER heard of being asked to move for a drink coupon."

Happens to me all of the time.  Usually they ask me to move from the exit row, because I'm petite, to another seat to accommodate a tall person...and they have always offered me a free drink.  Which is funny, as I now have about 25 drink coupons...

floridaguy
Aviator C

Well that's interesting.  However, I don't see that occurring for people wanting to "sit together".  All of that accommodation will only delay the turnaround time for the plane which is the reason for open seating in the first place.

Sort of like adding sweet icing to a rice cake.  What's the point?

BNAteacher
Explorer C

Just last week had a flight out of MCO where the GA announced "Children 6 and under with 2 adults and any other family members 17 and under."

floridaguy
Aviator C

That's the gate agent simply not following the rules.  This has been discussed many times.