Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family of 6 with 4 kids

Platetndr2
Explorer C

Read and searched as much as I could but thought I would ask anyway. Traveling from Indy to Orlando with my wife and kids 12, 7, 3 and 1. I understand the family boarding process. Does anyone have any tips they've used to help try to get everyone seated together and what works best? My concern really stems from if we will be allowed all to board as a family or if the 7 and 12 year old need an upgraded boarding pass? Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Family of 6 with 4 kids

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While not policy, if you ask nicely I would bet that you would all be allowed to utilize family boarding. Just smile and ask the gate agent when you get to the gate. If for some reason that does not work out one adult boards with the 3 and 1 year old during family boarding and one adult boards with the two older kids. Trying to save a row of 3 seats is easier if you just go towards the rear of the plane. If you happen to get a boarding position before family boarding (any A position), then board then instead of family boarding. Just keep in mind that no one can move up to a better boarding position, regardless of age. 

Again, 99% odds you just all board in family boarding and there's nothing to worry about.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Platetndr2 wrote:

Read and searched as much as I could but thought I would ask anyway. Traveling from Indy to Orlando with my wife and kids 12, 7, 3 and 1. I understand the family boarding process. Does anyone have any tips they've used to help try to get everyone seated together and what works best? My concern really stems from if we will be allowed all to board as a family or if the 7 and 12 year old need an upgraded boarding pass? Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance!

It's vague about the situation of two eligible kids. One eligible kid clearly gets two adults with them. It isn't clarified if two eligible kids are present do they each get two separate adults.

Either way, the 12 and 7 year old kids could in that case be the "adults" although the more likely scenario would be one of the older adults takes the three youngest early and the other older adult and older kid come later.

Or if you are an A-list member and buy all the tickets on one confirmation, you'll all have a-numbers together. Or if you are A-list and get under A60 just wait for family boarding.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest offers Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding.

• Up to two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding.
  • If the child and adults are all holding “A” boarding passes, they should board in their assigned boarding position rather than waiting for Family Boarding.
  • Customers may choose, but are not required, to purchase EarlyBird Check-In®. EarlyBird Check-In is an option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an “A” boarding position, you’ll have the benefit of an earlier boarding position, a better opportunity to select your preferred available seat, and earlier access to overhead bins.

Southwest's family boarding policy is crystal clear.  The child has to be six years of age or younger, then the qualification is met for TWO ADULTS to board.  Otherwise, you use open seating.

You knew of Southwest's open seating policy but it was probably a cheaper fare than another airline with assigned seats.  Now you want to have assigned seats.  It does not work that way.

There are too many people on this board who become frustrated with the abuse of family boarding and light up this board.  While I am NOT one of those people (since I preboard), you must respect that the family boarding is not a tool for everyone to sit together.  You have two children that meet that requirements, two that do not.  Four of you can board together but not six.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Platetndr2 wrote:

• Up to two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding.

That is the key in this case.

Southwest considers the 12 year old to be an adult.  So having that person "family board" with eligible kids is totally within policy.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Not true.  Under your analogy, anyone not under seven years of age is an adult.  Therefore, a 7 year old can accompany a two year old and so on.

This is not true.  I just called Southwest and had a call back on the "policy" people.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

If it were me and the entire family was **not** allowed to board during family boarding...

I would have parent #1 board during family boarding with the 3-year-old.  That parent should select an empty row and temporarily place the 3-year-old in the aisle seat and the parent in the window seat.  They should then save the middle seat.  Most likely, no passenger wants that middle seat, especially when it's next to a young child.  Parent #2 boards right behind with the 1-year-old and does the same thing.  Hopefully, they might be able to get an entire 3+3 row across the plane. 

Let the 12-year-old and 7-year-old board during general boarding in their assigned places.  Text the 12-year-old to let him know which row you are in and that the two of them have saved seats waiting for them.

Then, trying not to block the main aisle, you can juggle placement in your six seats so all of the kiddos are happy.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Saving seats also creates an entire discussion on this board, too.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Platetndr2 wrote:

All you have to do worst case would be to walk up in two groups of 2 adults and 1 of the younger kids. 

One group is an adult, older kid, and younger kid, and then the second group goes up with an adult, and older kid, and a younger kid.

But I expect if you discuss with the operations agent they would just let you go together instead of this alternate approach.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

No, it doesn't work that way.  Go back to high school geometry.

The first "set" requires a child under the age of seven.  With that, you can have up to two adults accompany the child.  Then, with the other child under the age of seven, another two adults can board.

Southwest defines an "adult" to be someone of legal age at point of departure.  You have to begin your "set" with a child under the age of seven.  Then build your boarding party from there.

This thread is exactly why there is so much complaining on this board about family boarding abuse.  Someone is always trying to manipulate the crystal clear rule.