Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Few Question for a First Time

LadyRaven
Explorer C

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time I've been in charge of purchasing tickets for a flight. I've always heard good things about Southwest but I just had a few questions.

For the Wanna Get Away fare, does that still guarantee a seat on the flight you choose?

With that fare, can you still purchase the early bird check in? There will be three of us traveling together, all adults, and I'd like to be able to sit together, but at the very least I'd at least like my grandma to be able to sit next to one of us.

These are probably silly questions, but I just wanted to be sure.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Few Question for a First Time

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@LadyRaven wrote:

For the Wanna Get Away fare, does that still guarantee a seat on the flight you choose?

The WGA isn't used by Southwest as a means to oversell flights - they have announced that flights won't be intentionally oversold. There are several rare occurences where it may be necessary for someone to be bumped from the flight but WGA passengers will all have rights to the seat and be provided compensation if something happened. Note: I haven't seen this happen very often at all since the announcement.

Although it is extremely rare to be bumped these days, one tip is to check-in as early as you can since if it came to an involuntary bump then the last person checked in is a candidate. My experience was that if they asked for volunteers most of the time there were way more people ready to bump and get those vouchers in return. 

@LadyRaven wrote:

With that fare, can you still purchase the early bird check in? There will be three of us traveling together, all adults, and I'd like to be able to sit together, but at the very least I'd at least like my grandma to be able to sit next to one of us.

Yes!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LadyRaven
Explorer C

Thank you so much!!!

nostresshere
Adventurer C

Any fare you buy from Southwest means you will get a seat - 99.5% of the time. Okay, I made up the percent, but the only reason you would not get a seat is when they have some flight problems, cancels, etc.

You are all set.

ANYBODY can buy early checkin.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@nostresshere wrote:

Any fare you buy from Southwest means you will get a seat - 99.5% of the time. Okay, I made up the percent, but the only reason you would not get a seat is when they have some flight problems, cancels, etc.

You are all set.

ANYBODY can buy early checkin.

Actually it will be blocked for you if you were already A-list (or if you used your A-list RR on the reservation at any rate) but I believe that applies to all WGA and Anytime tickets.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.