Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First Flight Ever! Question regarding plane changing.

ohpickles
Explorer C

Hey guys!! On the 27th I'm going to be flying out of LAX to IND. A good portion of the way through my flight is scheduled to change planes at ATL. I'm curious as to how this will play out.

Will luggage be moved for us, or will we be required to obtain it and take it to the new plane?  Will we have to go through security again? Are we going to be guided to our new plane?

I'm a total flying noob so I'm pretty anxious about this whole experience, haha! This is just my biggest concern.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: First Flight Ever! Question regarding plane changing.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@ohpickles wrote:

Hey guys!! On the 27th I'm going to be flying out of LAX to IND. A good portion of the way through my flight is scheduled to change planes at ATL. I'm curious as to how this will play out.

Will luggage be moved for us, or will we be required to obtain it and take it to the new plane?  Will we have to go through security again? Are we going to be guided to our new plane?

I'm a total flying noob so I'm pretty anxious about this whole experience, haha! This is just my biggest concern.

Congrats on your first flight This is not at all complicated. You should do fine.

Try to get a window seat on either flight. First time flyers can have fun looking out the window and watching the world go by.

1) Your luggage will be checked to your final destination, so you will not need to retrieve it.

2) You will not need to go thru security a second time..

3) You will not be guided to your new plane. You'll be able to determine the gate your second flight is departing from by looking at airport monitors, and then make your way to the new gate. If memory serves, all domestic SW flights out of Atlanta depart from the same concourse so it should only be a short walk to your new gate

Re: First Flight Ever! Question regarding plane changing.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@dfwskier That is correct about the concourse. ATL can be completely overwhelming for first-time flyers, but SW is concentrated in one half of one concourse.

You might even find time to grab some Chick-fil-a, Starbucks, or Savannah's Candy Kitchen -- all close by in Concourse C.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder