Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First Time Flyers - seat Q's

tcpomfret
Explorer C

Hi friends....

I've read all the posts about boarding, etc. some good some bad.  I personally am a fearful flyer and have 2 kids whom have never flown before (even though in teens).  Would like to know if SWA does anything to accommodate requests of those who are traveling with kids (regardless of their older age) and those of us who are fearful - to try and keep families together on flights - even if we are opting for the "wanna get away" fare - which is technically the only way some of us CAN get away 🙂   Especially with COVID you would think they are trying to keep family members together - no?  

4 REPLIES 4

First Time Flyers - seat Q's

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Well here is my suggestion.  Not knowing when you're traveling, hopefully not today, I would have multiple people ready with their Confirmation number and name typed in the check-in boxes on the SWA website.  Once the moment of the 24-hour check-in hits, all of you press, check-in.  Depending on how many AListers are flying on your same flight or those that paid for the early boarding, you should get lower to mid B seats.  There will still be enough, although in the rear, for you all to sit together.   Although not actually allowed, it is done, whoever is first on, if you get scattered boarding numbers, do what I do.  I am AList, my wife isn't, so I get on and sit in the middle seat 😙 and that deters many from sitting down because they are looking for the seat with nobody next to them.  And at times, I put on my mean face to appear as a grumpy old fart, that one works most often.  I've been on flights where the flight attendant has asked people if they would be willing to give up their seats and move for the exact same situation you mention, to allow families to fly together.  You might get a few looks with older kids, but go for it. 

Re: First Time Flyers - seat Q's

tcpomfret
Explorer C

thank you! appreciate it 🙂  regardless of age (because it's really me whose the scaredy cat at 50 ;0) I would like to have my family together....heaven forbid something does happen mid flight - i would like to know my children are safe with me (or I with them for that matter) ;0 hahaha  but appreciate the reply.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@tcpomfret If you are all booked on the same reservation, you will all be checked in together. But @SWFlyer007 makes a great point: it is critical that you either purchase Early Bird Check in OR that you check in at exactly 24 hours out. As in to the minute. Only one of you will need to do that if you are all booked on the same reservation, and you should all get sequential boarding positions. There are some exceptions to that, but they are rare and too complicated to be worth elaborating on here.

If you do one of the two, you will likely have no issues sitting together somewhere on the plane. It is all chance, but I think you chances are good.

Check out this Knowledge Base article to find out more about the boarding process.

Another note: I think many incorrectly assume flights are not full at the moment due to Coronavirus. That may be true in some cases, but due to airlines scaling back schedules, you are likely to be on a pretty full or completely full flight. 

Good luck...you guys will be fine!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@tcpomfret See my reply