Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First Time with Companion Pass Questions

alwweb2
Explorer C

I just received companion pass as part of a promo for the first time.  I am NOT currently A-List.

Questions:

1. When I added my husband, I received a message saying the welcome package and card would be mailed in 5 to 7 business days.  We have a flight Saturday.  Does he need the card, or is the reservation in the app sufficient?
  2. I bought Early Bird for me when I originally bought the tickets.  I did not buy early bird for him (an option when I added him as a companion.)  Do I need to set alarms to sign him in at 24 hours, or will he be by me in line with the new policy?

After a little frustration with the pass showing up and errors trying to use it, I am thrilled to try this out and Southwest may end up with another credit card holder because of it.  They already have the loyalty, but my business usually only has me traveling about once a month, so companion pass is not in the cards by simply flying.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: First Time with Companion Pass Questions

pkenow
Explorer C

If you have added your husband to your flight as a companion, he will have his own CF# which is different from yours even though its the same flight. He will need to check in under his CF # 24 hours in advance. Chances are you will have different boarding positions that are not side by side since you purchased early bird check in . You should be able to see his companion pass CF# under your reservation in your Southwest app. Yesterday, I just added my wife to an existing flight reservation of mine.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

There is no card or welcome packet so you don't need a card and don't be expecting one to come.  Companions receive sequential boarding so you will get boarding positions next to or very close to each other.  Since that is the case, only one of you needs to purchase EBCI, the 2nd person will automatically get the benefit.  You do both need to check-in, but there's no rush as EBCI will be applied.

--TheMiddleSeat

insomniak29
Explorer C

https://www.southwest.com/html/mkt/rapidrewardsupdates.html

According to the above article, Companions won't receive sequential boarding if you purchased a flight upgrade like EBCI (I had to scroll down and read the fine print for "1" before it made sense to me).

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I can see why you may be confused, but if you're referring to this fine print, that's not what it is saying.

1Upon check-in, you and your Companion will receive sequential boarding positions unless you purchased a Business Select fare, purchased Upgraded Boarding, added your Companion after you had been assigned a boarding position, changed a flight on your day of travel, or were impacted by a flight delay or cancellation, in which case you and your Companion will not receive sequential boarding positions. For Business Select fares, only the purchaser will receive an A1-A15 boarding position and the Companion will receive a boarding position based on whichever is applicable—time of check-in, A-List or A-List Preferred status, or EarlyBird Check-In®.

The above describes the following:

• Companion pass holders who purchase Business Select will not receive sequential boarding for the companions.  Companions will receive boarding based on their check-in or EBCI
  • Similarly, if one party purchases upgraded boarding the other will not get upgraded boarding sequentially for free
  • Last minute changes or purchases of flight will result in no sequential boarding

In the OP's situation, unless a Business Select fare was purchased, both flyers will have sequential boarding based on EBCI attached to just one passenger.

--TheMiddleSeat

insomniak29
Explorer C

I see what you are saying. I mistook "Upgraded Boarding" to include Early Bird Check-in. I wish they would prevent you from purchasing EBCI for both myself and my companion then (which I just did).