Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First time flying and first time with Southwest Airlines

ceva156
Explorer C

Hi everybody,

First time flying in my life was wondering what the process is like and mostly with Southwest Airlines? What exactly should I know and what’s the process like?

For my carry on I’m looking at an Amazon essentials 21inch travel suitcase It’s measurements are 14.5W x 22L x 10T. Will that pass the requirements? And anyone have a good personal bag carry on recommendations?

Any other advice or tips anyone has will be much appreciated thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: First time flying and first time with Southwest Airlines

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That carryon bag is fine. I would recommend a backpack for your 2nd carry on if you need one. The 2nd item will need to fit under the seat in front of you. 

You can find more info about flying with Southwest by checking out the links in this post:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Inflight-Experience/First-Time-Flyer/m-p/111332/highlight/true#M2...

--TheMiddleSeat

aMomTo6
Adventurer B

@ceva156 wrote:

Hi everybody,

First time flying in my life was wondering what the process is like and mostly with Southwest Airlines? What exactly should I know and what’s the process like?

For my carry on I’m looking at an Amazon essentials 21inch travel suitcase It’s measurements are 14.5W x 22L x 10T. Will that pass the requirements? And anyone have a good personal bag carry on recommendations?

@ceva156 wrote:

Hi everybody,

Welcome to Southwest! I hope you feel all the LUV they have to offer on your first flying adventure!

For a "personal item" sized bag,  I recommend something with what is called a "trolley sleeve" which is an opening on the outside of the bag which allows it to slide over the handle of your rolling suitcase. It will sit securely on your luggage as you travel through the airport. 

I have had this one for 5 years with LOTS of travel.  Still looks great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DM3NHR4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_EV3S20BP9P3CZW6PPKAR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My teen daughter has a backpack style bag with a trolley sleeve:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097TQHMBL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_A0KEVN5JVSBX6Y8634N4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Happy travels!

misshollie
Explorer C

I've found that the boarding process differs from other airlines in that there is open (non-reserved) seating. Stand in line when the gate agent calls your boarding group and board the plane.

I don't know if drink/snack service has been reinstated yet; I haven't flown since the pandemic started.  Can anyone else answer?

You may want to give yourself some extra protection and wear a mask, even though mandates have been lifted. You're sitting in a tin can with a lot of bodies in close proximity--better safe. 

Carry-on questions have been answered. 

Flight attendants are the best in the business. (Hi Gayle!)

Bon voyage!

misshollie.