Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First time with my ESA dog

Cs2hicks
Explorer C

My main concern is where do ( I ) use a restroom with my service dog on leash. I know there are pet relief areas for him but I’m concerned about me. You’ve all seen those disgusting restrooms in airports and I’m not about to have him walk through that or possibly sit in it. He is a 55 pound basset Hound. Thank you in advance for your help. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: First time with my ESA dog

bec102896
Aviator A

You could use the family restrooms that many airports have which are also called gender neutral restrooms in some airports this way you have space. 

Many airports have stepped up cleaning of airport restrooms because of covid so you and your service dog should be fine. 

-Blake

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@Cs2hicks Slight problem...any pet in the cabin needs to fit in a carrier stored under the seat in front of you. I can't see a 55 pound dog being able to do that.

dfwskier
Aviator A

bwallet is right -- using different words to be clear -- no airline flys ESAs anymore -- service animals yes; ESAs no. That changed a few months ago.

The only two ways to fly with animals now is as

1) service animal

2_paid animal transport ($95,) but as bwallet said, the animal must fit in a carrier thar fits under the seat in front of you.

I also believe that a 55 pound basset would simply be too large.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Cs2hicks wrote:

You’ve all seen those disgusting restrooms in airports 

You must not have flown in the past year or more. Restrooms are extremely clean. We are in the middle of a pandemic where everyone is scared of germs. Dirty restrooms are not going to be a thing at airports these days. 

--Jessica

Cs2hicks
Explorer C
Solution

Just flew from Oakland Ca to Houston Tx then finally Orlando FL  - every men’s bathroom I walked into was disgusting ! So that’s the reason I posted this question. Thank you for your responses but those stepped up cleaning practices where not in effect in the 3 airports I just went through. I’ve also flown many times through the pandemic and have never stepped in a clean airport restroom.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Just to be clear, given the language in your post: If I were you, my concern would be that ESA's are now no longer allowed on Southwest (or any domestic carrier), and not the cleanliness of bathrooms. (I can't say that I've ever experienced anything like you describe in an airport restroom, but to each his own.)

If your dog is actually a Trained Service Animal you'll want to make sure you have all the documentation required.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

With every ban comes a work around.

You can get a Psychiatric Service Dog document as easy as you could get a ESA paper.

https://www.emotionalpetsupport.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuKLVlLii8gIVsyCtBh3FfgsTEAAYASAAEgLP7fD_BwE

WaxConqueror
Explorer C

Just flew from Oakland Ca to Houston Tx then at last Orlando FL - each man's washroom I strolled into was appalling ! So that is the explanation I posted this inquiry. Much thanks to you for your reactions yet those moved forward cleaning rehearses Mycfavisit where not essentially in the 3 air terminals I just went through. I've additionally flown commonly through the pandemic and have never stepped in a spotless air terminal bathroom.