Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight bought for someone who can’t go, want to change name on ticket.

b1arney
Explorer C

I previously purchased a SWA round trip flight out to Las Vegas for a friend. The friend can no longer go.

I’ve never done this before, but figured I could change the name on the ticket so another person could go. Based on what I’m finding online, it sounds like there’s not a cold chance in hell that SW will allow me to do that. The ticket prices have literally doubled, and only business select is available for purchase. Considering the trip isn’t for another 5 months I was hoping there was something I could do that would allow someone the opportunity to use that ticket, or get another flight for the same rate. If anyone has any input or advice they could give me I’d greatly appreciate it

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flight bought for someone who can’t go, want to change name on ticket.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry, but no airline - including Southwest -- allows a change in passenger name on a purchased ticket.

When the flight gets cancelled, then the named passenger (not the ticket purchaser) gets a travel fund.   

floridaguy
Aviator C

Talk to Southwest.  They will likely give a travel fund credit for the ticket on the person that can't go, issue another ticket on the person that can go with those travel funds.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

You won't be able to keep the same price if the price has changed, but you can at least get the travel credit to the person who will be traveling.

Cancel the existing reservation, use the travel credit to book a Wanna Get Away Plus fare for the same or slightly more expensive price, cancel that reservation, then transfer the travel credit to the person who needs to fly. They can then use it to book the new reservation.

--TheMiddleSeat

john710
Explorer C

I’m in a similar situation. Does this still hold true?