Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Folding bikes like Bromptons ARE allowed as carry-on!

jlzpo1
Explorer C

Just an FYI for those with Bromptons

I was able to take my folding Brompton bike on the airplane at different SWA locations including SFO, TUC, Orlando and PHX.

The problem you may face is at check-in or at the gate, where SWA reps may not be familiar with the bike, and may arbitrarily decide that you have to check it in as special cargo. 

Make no mistake, you don't have to do this.  If need be, copy this pic of my Brompton in the overghead of a SWA flight from PHX to Orlando! The crew should be accomodating, like the ones on the flight I took. Brompton in SWA overhead.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Folding bikes like Bromptons ARE allowed as carry-on!

alwaysbusy14
Explorer C

The only way I would agree is if the bike fits in the space alloted for each person.  Does it fit in the luggage sizer at vertually every gate?  This

jlzpo1
Explorer C

Depends on the consistency of the luggage sizer- I am assuming it should be same size. Otherwise, my bike wouldn't have fit the overhead bin like it shows on the photo.

Kvcar2
Explorer C

Maybe it is just that the SW ground crew member at Gate 6 at Bradley Hartford was in a crabby mood today but she did not allow me to take my Brompton (properly folded as instructed by a regular Brompton owner and SW flier).  I went ahead and got a check tag for it at the gate as my flight had been switched at the last minute and I was moved to the last boarding group and worried about crowded overhead space.  However, just as I was walking down the ramp to board the woman at the gate came up behind me and told me my bike wouldn't fit and literally grabbed it from me.  I tried to explain to her that they do fit and simply snapped tha they don't and that was that.  Inside the craft, there remained plenty of overhead bin space, despite there being 4 large guitar cases also being stored there!

I wish SW, which undoubtedly is aware that Brompton owners regularly promote SW on social media for it's wonderful accommodation of Brompton's bikes, would set a consistent policy one way or the other for their gate and air crew to follow.  I was prepared to purchase a bag specific to check them but was assured this was COMPLETELY unnecessary with SW.  Instead today I got a surly attitude and now I have to worry that my bike will be damaged in the cargo hold.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Hi.

Sorry that there appears to be confusion about Brompton bikes as carry on's.

A quick look at the SW carry on policy says carry on bags should not exceed  24 x 10 x 16.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/index.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-BAGS

The Brompton company says the bikes fold to 23 x 22.2 x 10.6. So the bike does not meet Southwest 's specs as a carry on.

Travelers may run into situations where they're allowed to bring the bike's on board, but sooner or later they are likley trun ino a situation where the policy is enforced.  I suspect it depends on how many people will be on the aircraft (how full the overhead bins will be)>.

The safe bet is to assume the company will enforce it's carry on policy.

keikinator
Explorer C

i have flown SW with my Brompton but crew member at Burbank for flight to Phoenix was just outright mean and atypical for friendly Southwest. The attitude was surprising- have never seen anything like that for Southwest. maybe they’re stressed out from hurricane cancelled flights & full flights. Usually people are happy to see a Brompton and quite pleasant

keikinator
Explorer C

i have flown SW with my Brompton but crew member at Burbank for flight to Phoenix was just outright mean and atypical for friendly Southwest. The attitude was surprising- have never seen anything like that for Southwest. maybe they’re stressed out from hurricane cancelled flights & full flights. Usually people are happy to see a Brompton and quite pleasant. in the end, I carried it on & it fit. Hope she is now a believer

keikinator
Explorer C

i have flown SW with my Brompton but crew member at Burbank for flight to Phoenix was just outright mean and atypical for friendly Southwest. The attitude was surprising- have never seen anything like that for Southwest. maybe they’re stressed out from hurricane cancelled flights & full flights. Usually people are happy to see a Brompton and quite pleasant. in the end, I carried it on & it fit. Hope she is now a believer

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm sorry to hear that the Southwest crew member was mean to you. If you want to file a complaint, please feel free to contact customer service. List of ways you can do that are listed on the top left

of the contact us webpage.

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

That being said, as I mentioned upthread, the bike  does not qualify as a carry on because it is bigger than 24x16x10. Yeah, you can probably get it on board some flights because crew members are not dilligently checking, but it is a matter of time til someone does check and you won't be able to bring it on board.