Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Garment Bags

jsgmg
Explorer C

Does Southwest permit passengers to bring a thin garment bag (containing one men's suit and one dress) as a carryon bag?  I remember flying years ago, and passengers were permitted to hang their garment bags in a small closet-type area near the front of the plane.  We're making a quick trip for a family function and would prefer to not check any bags, but need to bring dress clothes and don't want to fold up a suit. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Garment Bags

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @jsgmg,

Thanks for bringing this question to the Southwest Community! We don't have a closet to hang garments in onboard, however, you can certainly bring a garment bag as your personal carryon item and stow it in the overhead bin. 

We hope to see you soon!

Lesa0412
Explorer C

Most of the garmet bags I have found do not meet the required sizing for a carryon.  Is there a separate size for garmet bags?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Lesa0412,

Most garment bags are compliant because the are soft-sided and can be folded to fit into the overhead bins. 

melenz
Explorer C

Hello,

I plan to be traveling with a wedding dress in a garmet bag. It is not a huge dress, but I don't think it would fit laying flat on top of bags in the over head compartment. What is the best way to do this? I am looking at all airlines to see what the best way to travel without ruining the dress.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@melenzwrote:

Hello,

I plan to be traveling with a wedding dress in a garmet bag. It is not a huge dress, but I don't think it would fit laying flat on top of bags in the over head compartment. What is the best way to do this? I am looking at all airlines to see what the best way to travel without ruining the dress.

Southwest's planes have no closets or anywhere to hang a garment bag, so your options on Southwest are to check it or try fitting it into the overhead compartment. Some brides opt to ship their dress ahead.