Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gate check bag allowed?

Vencomom2
Explorer C

Hi, I’m wondering if we are  able to gate check our carryon bags, or is that only allowed for full flights? And if the flight is not full and it’s not offered for free, can you pay a fee for gate check?  I will be traveling with my 10-year old daughter, so we are not traveling with any car seats or strollers, just regular carryons. I am young but have bad shoulders, and am unable to lift heavy bags to stow in cabin. I know I can check-in the bags, or also ask someone to help me stow them on the flight. But my preference is to gate check. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Gate check bag allowed?

Vencomom2
Explorer C

Btw- This is all assuming that the gate checked bags will be waiting on the jet bridge upon arrival, and not routed like regular check-in bags to the carousels?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Gate checking is always available and always free. Speak to a gate agent about when and where to collect your bags. You can let them know your preference and they should be able to accommodate it.

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Vencomom2 wrote:

Btw- This is all assuming that the gate checked bags will be waiting on the jet bridge upon arrival, and not routed like regular check-in bags to the carousels?

I’m not sure about this. When you gate check a bag doesn’t it go with the rest of the checked bags? Do they make exceptions? 

— Jessica 

Vencomom2
Explorer C

I’ve only ever gate checked strollers when my kids were younger, and those were always waiting on the jet bridge on arrival. (Not necessarily on southwest, but airlines in general). I always assumed gate checked bags would also be delivered on the jet bridge, but I guess I will just ask at the gate.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Your gate checked bags will go to baggage claim.

If you check child items or mobility aids, those will be brought up to the jetbridge and can be picked up as soon as you get off the plane. 

Happy travels!

Gate check bag allowed?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

will it affect pilot weight balence numbers if late?

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Not really. Down on the ramp, we can account for late bags while still working within the threshold. 😀