Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gay Parents

Annierooney
Explorer C

Am I to understand that the policy of Southwest Airlines is that same sex parents with children are not to participate in family boarding - or rather prohibited to board during the call of family boarding in favor of the traditional family of a man and woman? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Gay Parents

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Annierooney wrote:

Am I to understand that the policy of Southwest Airlines is that same sex parents with children are not to participate in family boarding - or rather prohibited to board during the call of family boarding in favor of the traditional family of a man and woman? 

I think that your understanding is incorrect.

SWDigits
Aviator A

This is the Southwest wording (bold emphasis added by me):

"General boarding starts with Business Select customers, who are guaranteed positions at the front of the A Group, followed by Rapid Rewards tier Members and the remaining Customers in the A Group, two adults with children age six and under, then groups B and C."

Source: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/airport-experience/index-pol.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Annierooney wrote:

Southwest recently updated their Family Boarding policy to include two adults -- not specifically male/female -- in response to an incident where a same-sex couple was denied boarding with their three children and a grandmother. (Previously, the policy allowed "an adult," but agents often allowed both "parents" to board with a qualified child.)

Some new reports make it seem like the incident just happened, but it actually was nearly two years ago. And, while the situation was somewhat complicated by the 3rd adult (the grandmother), the incident was most likely caused by a "rogue agent." Southwest has now updated it's policy to help make it more welcoming for LGBTQ families.

Here's some more detailed information:

Southwest Airlines updates family boarding policy after Naples same-sex couple claims discrimination