Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Getting on an earlier connection?

Bredowe
Explorer C

Traveling from DAL to ALB with connection at BWI. DAL leg gets to BWI at 9:50am then i have a 4 hour layover. There is an earlier flight to ALB that leaves at 10:15am. Southwest didn’t originally give me this option, probably because of the tight connection window. Assuming everything is on time and there is an open seat on the 10:15am flight to ALB, would the gate agent allow me switch to this flight on only a few minutes notice to avoid my 4 hour layover? No checked baggage. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Getting on an earlier connection?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You are correct as to why that option could not be purchased. If you could clarify what fare type you purchased and if you have any status that would allow for a more correct answer. Without status and just a standard Wanna Get Away fare you would normally be asked to pay the difference in fare to switch flights, but seeing that it is a connection, the gate agent may not even give you that option. You could also find a sympathetic agent who would allow you to board. Other fare types and status give you more leverage.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

You are correct as to why that option could not be purchased. If you could clarify what fare type you purchased and if you have any status that would allow for a more correct answer. Without status and just a standard Wanna Get Away fare you would normally be asked to pay the difference in fare to switch flights, but seeing that it is a connection, the gate agent may not even give you that option. You could also find a sympathetic agent who would allow you to board. Other fare types and status give you more leverage.

--TheMiddleSeat

Chances are good, just show up with a smile and your carry on and see what they can do.

I'd monitor that flight - keep trying to "buy" a ticket on that particular leg so you have an idea if there are many empty seats or not. 

I think the airline is unofficially extra helpful in times like this where there is less frequent service - moderate layover to a destination with 2-hours service maybe less likely, but for a four-hour destination like ALB then better chance.

And luckily if you don't get on, there is O'Brycki's.

Or if you need some peace and quiet when i was there recently Concourse C was really quiet with not too many flights scheduled, great spot to relax for an hour or so.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Remember, even though you might get on your new connection, you will be one of the last people on the plane. Thus you will likely be relegated to a middle seat - somewhere on the plane. Overheads will mostly be full.

Your trade off is time saved vs discomfort incurred. You have to decide which is more important to you.

Bredowe
Explorer C

Thanks! Its a 45 min flight from BWI to ALB. I’ll happily trade 45 mins of middle seat discomfort vs. sitting at BWI for a 4 hour layover! Carryon fits under the seat.