Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Grandparents left stranded at airport

Mayra33409
Explorer C

Currently as I'm typing my two grandparents 85 and 87 years old, needing wheelchair assistance have been left basically stranded at the Orlando Airport by flight 1341 from Orlando to Puerto Rico. After starting this ordeal at 9:30am leaving Jacksonville to bring them to Orlando Airport, having them there, checked in, and luggage dropped off by 12:30p at 1pm they sat my grandmother in the wheelchair and were asked to wait at a line with other 6 passengers. After my grandpa repeatedly asking them what was the hold up and to please take them as it was getting late. After requesting help from the 4th person they were finally taken note in a rush, with my poor 87 year old granddaughter almost having to run to keep up with the employee pushing my grandmother's wheelchair to try to get them there on time, and as expected they didn't make it. They missed their flight. Then they had the audacity to make it sound like it was our fault and say they were "accommodating" then to an 8pm flight, as if they were doing them a favor. Mind you I have already received a message saying that flight has been delayed. So you are leaving 2 elderly diabetic customers stranded having to fend for themselves until the next flight and try to find a way home when they now make it to Puerto Rico at midnight. 

Ludicrous, ridiculous and completely unacceptable. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Grandparents left stranded at airport

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like you should reach out to the airport as they maintain the contract for the company that provides wheelchair services, not Southwest. Glad to hear Southwest was able to accommodate them on a later flight. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

I don't see how this is possible, and you left out some crucial details of your story:

When was the plane supposed to take off?

You say the luggage was dropped off at 12:30PM and at 1PM they were told to "wait" in a line. Wait where? Is this after they went through security? What happened in those 30 minutes? Or after 1PM? Assuming they were told to wait after they got through security, how could they possibly miss their flight when all they have to do, at most, is be wheeled to their gate. 

Did the 6 other waiting passengers also miss their flights? 

:edit: 

I looked up SWA1341 on Flight Aware. It looks like Friday's flight left at 2:45PM. 

So you're saying your parents sat around in a wheelchair for nearly 2 hours and were not taken to their gate in all that time? I find this very hard to believe.   

--Jessica

floridaguy
Aviator C

I have to recommend that when traveling during the Holiday season, as it is called, allow extra time for your airport experience.

Two hours from airport arrival to flight departure works in most cases, but consider that there is a 1/2 hour before the flight departs where boarding begins.  Now, you are down to 90 minutes.

Consider the 1/2 hour that you might spend at baggage check in, the 1/2 hour to get through TSA, the 1/4 hour that you spend from the TSA area to travel to the gates via the train at MCO and you have just 15 minutes to spare.  Anything that goes wrong deducts from your margin until you have missed the flight.

While I do regret hearing your story, I would not even attempt to travel through MCO this time of year with a two hour window.  Sorry for the experience.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Were they in the TSA line being greeted by the nicest people on earth?

If so, this is not Southwest's issue, it is YOUR issue.  If you allowed about a two hour window during this time of year to get to the airport, get through the TSA line and then board the plane, you underestimated the time.

Not Southwest's fault.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy Please remember to follow the Community guidelines.  No need to blame the issue on the OP.

Be respectful and courteous.

We want you, and all Members, to feel comfortable sharing thoughts and ideas. We ask that you follow the Golden Rule and treat other Community Members the way you would like to be treated. Keep your tone positive and your comments constructive.

--TheMiddleSeat