Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gun on plane

devontecoleman
Explorer C

Southwest agent recently didn't accept my checked firearm case because he could get his finger into it. I totally understand and did not argue with him about the gun case(even thought i've flown with it dozens of time). However, it is listed on southwest website that a locked hard sided suitcase is acceptable. I asked to take the tsa lock off of the gun case and put it onto the suitcase and they rejected my request saying that the firearm check policy has changed. They also admitted that the new policy has not yet been changed on the southwest website for all of the customers to see. I was forced to buy a gun case from some southwest employee in nashville under the table for cash only in order to be within policy and get on our flight. The worst customer service of any airline ive flown with. They change the policy and don't put it on their website. ...then refuse to refund me anything at all. ive filed complaint with BBB, Southwest, and looked into civil litigation. I don't know what's going on with Southwest but they are going downhill fast. Maybe its due to COVID? I'm not sure. 

All of this to say, when checking southwest website for policies, try to call and confirm first that what is on their website is true. Southwest has responded to me on social media and basically said "sorry". 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Gun on plane

bec102896
Aviator A

Hopefully my response on your other post: firearms answers your concerns. 

-Blake

devontecoleman
Explorer C

Yes I tried it. I reached out and was told, “as you can imagine, it can take some time for updates to be completed” from the southwest Facebook page 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

So what is the change?

I didnt see any change on the website yet, and they still have the confusing suggestion that TSA locks are acceptable for gun cases.  Obviously they conflict with the Federal Law that states ONLY the passenger can have the key or combo.  We know that anyone who wants TSA keys can just make them, the plans are available on the internet thanks to the TSA making them available.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

So what is the change?

I didnt see any change on the website yet, and they still have the confusing suggestion that TSA locks are acceptable for gun cases.  Obviously they conflict with the Federal Law that states ONLY the passenger can have the key or combo.  We know that anyone who wants TSA keys can just make them, the plans are available on the internet thanks to the TSA making them available.

I believe that Southwest's policy mirrors that of TSA.

Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.