Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Haven't flown in over 10 years. Online Boarding pass/check in questions

SilviaW
Explorer C

Hello. I haven't flown in over 10 years and need help with a trip coming up, specifically in regards to 24 hour online check in and printing a boarding pass.  I understand I can check in as early as 24 hours before departure and print my boarding pass or have it sent to my mobile phone.  I will be traveling with carry on only.

On the day of the flight, since i have no bags to check, do I go straight to TSA security and then to gate without having to do a ticket counter checkin or a gate counter check in?   In other words, I go through security and straight to the gate and wait for them to call my boarding number and that's it? No counter at all?

Thank you so much for all your help!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Haven't flown in over 10 years. Online Boarding pass/check in questions

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Welcome back to the skies. Hope you have a good flight.

To answer your question, all you need to clear TSA/securty and to board the plane is your boarding pass. So, no you do not need to visit the ticket counter.  In addition the methods you mentioned you can also print your boarding pass at the airport at one of Southwest's kiosks (mini comter terminals) at the airport.

If you want to get the best boarding position be sure to check in as close to 24 hours before flight time as possible -- but not even one minute before that time.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

You could purchase EarlyBird Check-In if you'd prefer to remove any worry about when to check-in. 

Don't forget you'll also need an ID to get through security. You may also want to review TSA's rules for what is allowed to be carried onto the plane, specifically the liquid rules as those have changed a lot recently, https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Have a great trip!

--TheMiddleSeat

SilviaW
Explorer C

I feel better already about flying.  Thank you so much for your responses.  Early Bird check in sounds good!   I will check the liquids rule.  Being able to print at home and go through the airport easily without any counter stops except for TSA sounds wonderful!  Lots of helpful info in both responses for sure.  Thank you both again for your kindness and taking the time out of your day to repond.