Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How can I get a seat that will accommodate a temporary health issue without getting in anyone's way?

carimp
Explorer C

I'm having knee surgery on 3/1 for a birth defect/injury that's pretty painful. I have to travel for work this week(relatively short flight, ~1.5 hours). Walking on will be slower than normal as walking is painful though not unbearable right now.

I see on these boards that a lot of people have problems with pre-boarders. I'm generally pretty healthy-looking, average size, early 30s. If you look at me you wouldn't see someone who looks like they need assistance, though I'm wearing a small knee brace right now. I have my surgery paperwork if that's needed at the gate.

The two things I want to avoid are:

1) Slowing anyone down by walking slowly as I board the plane. I'm working at about half speed here as I kind of hobble along to avoid too much bending. I'll be sure to exit last regardless of where I sit.

2) Having to sit in the middle or window seat and being unable to stretch my leg for 1.5 hours. This will make walking borderline unbearable as I exit the plane.

I don't want to take the place of anyone who has a disability, and I don't want anyone to feel angry that I'm boarding before them. Should I ask to board between the A & B groups? Would that be enough just to guarantee I can get an aisle seat and some extra time to board? Right now my position is B40 and I don't know that it'll be early enough to get an aisle seat.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How can I get a seat that will accommodate a temporary health issue without getting in anyone's

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Don't worry about #1, there are all types and it gets bunched up fairly quickly...you won't be slowing things down.

There will probably be some aisle seats in the back at B40, but you can ask for the "needs more time" pre-boading between A and B groups if you like, it seems reasonable.

At the gate they shouldn't ask for any specific documentation, only questions "do you need more time" or "do you need a specific seat" and answer accordingly.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: How can I get a seat that will accommodate a temporary health issue without getting in anyone's

erbain
Explorer B

I hope you pre-boarded and didn't get any grouching from other passengers. People need extra time boarding for all sorts of reasons that are not immediately apparent or necessarily visible.