Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How does A-List work if I'm *someone else's* Companion?

jfochek
Explorer C

Hi, all! I am currently A-List and I have Companion Pass, both of which will hold through 2023. However, my husband recently got a Southwest credit card with a 75,000 bonus (which will post in 2023), which means he'll have a big head start for earning Companion Pass in 2023 for 2024. Does anyone know how check-in will work if *I* have A-List but he has Companion Pass and I am his Companion? Will we both be checked in early based on my A-List status? Or will neither of us since he would be the primary reservation holder? Many thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How does A-List work if I'm *someone else's* Companion?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jfochek wrote:

Hi, all! I am currently A-List and I have Companion Pass, both of which will hold through 2023. However, my husband recently got a Southwest credit card with a 75,000 bonus (which will post in 2023), which means he'll have a big head start for earning Companion Pass in 2023 for 2024. Does anyone know how check-in will work if *I* have A-List but he has Companion Pass and I am his Companion? Will we both be checked in early based on my A-List status? Or will neither of us since he would be the primary reservation holder? Many thanks!

The check-in by A-list will be by the A-list member booking. The new policy might inadvertently work against you here - previously the companion was checked in on their own, which if you had A-list could apply.

Now the companions are checked in sequentially with the companion pass holder, I'm not sure if that would override your A-list or not.

Best case I think is that you get an A-list checkin and husband would not.

Worst case will be that your A-list won't be applied as companion.

But I don't think the sequential checkin would work in reverse to promote your husband to A-list position while you are the companion, that I believe is a longshot.

When will be the first test of the situation, keep us posted!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: How does A-List work if I'm *someone else's* Companion?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Tested this not long ago... Sequential boarding applies regardless of who holds what. If there's an A-Lister between the two then they both get sequential A positions.

--TheMiddleSeat