Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How early should I arive at MCI airport before my flight?

jerrkerr
Explorer C

Flight from MCI to Las Vegas, scheduled for 10:45 am on Wednesday Feb 6, 2019.  How early should I arive at MCI.  I will only have carry ons. No checked luggage.  I will print my boarding passes ahead of time

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How early should I arive at MCI airport before my flight?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

TSA always recommends arriving at the airport 2 hours before flight time. As a practical matter 10:45 Wednesday is not a prime travel time, so in all likelihood you won't need that much time.

I personally try to get to security ab out an hour and 15 minutes pre flight time, and have never had issues.

It depends what you are comfortable with.

bec102896
Aviator A

@jerrkerr

As @dfwskier stated its recommend that you arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight however that's not a prime time hour so I would get there an hour and a half before the flight just in case there is a long line at security. If you have pre check an hour 15min should be good. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@jerrkerr

As @dfwskier stated its recommend that you arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight however that's not a prime time hour so I would get there an hour and a half before the flight just in case there is a long line at security. If you have pre check an hour 15min should be good. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

My record is 45 minutes at Midway, with PreCheck. That was a bit uncomfortable though.

MCI is nice in this one regard though, with the terminals setup as pods I've always known the security lines to be relatively short compared to others. It's also one that if you have few amenties in your "pod" that you won't want to be there too early.

The "pod" approach is bad in every other way though, I can understand why they want to build a new terminal.

I don't know how much OP is trying to shave off of it - but somewhere in the 1.5 to 1.0 hours in advance will probably be fine. Keep an eye on any online wait time trackers as well to get a flavor for the 9-9:30 a.m. arrival times on that day.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@jerrkerr,

Ahh good ol' MCI airport - home of The Pork & Pickle restaurant, where I've eaten many a BBQ sandwich while waiting on connections to DAL. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jerrkerr wrote:

Flight from MCI to Las Vegas, scheduled for 10:45 am on Wednesday Feb 6, 2019.  How early should I arive at MCI.  I will only have carry ons. No checked luggage.  I will print my boarding passes ahead of time

Southwest's recomended airport arrival time for MCI is 90 minutes prior to departure. With no bags to check I'd say one hour should suffice, but 90 minutes to be safe. Keep in mind that you'll want to be in the gate area prior to the boarding time, which will be shown on your boarding pass (usually 30 minutes prior to departure).