Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How many Pre’s in Boarding does Southwest Need?

JHag
Explorer C

Boarding @ Southwest: Pre, Pre, Pre, Pre, Pre boarding:

What exactly is preboarding to Southwest? 

1.  People in Wheelchairs (Are they truly hurting?)

2.  People who have EXT on their boarding pass

3.  People who just walk on to the plane with nothing wrong 

4.  Families 

5.  And finally military 

Southwest has turned into a racket. I live in the Bay Area.  Here’s an idea, you should sell Tech StartUp preboarding if you’re that desperate.  Was told that there would be 13 open seats but by the time B14 got onto the plane it was too the back.  Honestly you might be following preboarding rules but what are doing about customers not following the rules. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How many Pre’s in Boarding does Southwest Need?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sounds like maybe you don't actually understand how preboarding works on Southwest.

Preboarding is available for disabled passengers who either need assistance boarding the plane or a specific seat once on board. These passengers may use a wheelchair or may be ambulatory, as disabilities vary, and many disabilities may not be readily apparent.

Those requiring extra time, families, and military do not preboard. They are allowed to board after the A group (before the B group), and in the case of military they must be traveling in uniform.

There are no fees for preboarding, and specific requirements are in compliance with US Department of Transportation (DOT) and FAA laws.

bouncethebox
Explorer C

You're the same person who told another member with this legitimate complaint that they may be happier with another airline.  How about we just hold SW accountable instead?

I'll say this again and I encourage everyone who complains about SW Preboarding fraud and abuse to do the same.  You have the right, if you can prove it, to report passenger fraud and abuse, which jeopardizes the integrity of the preboarding process to those with disabilities protected by the Air Carrier Access Act.  I'm also trying to find where to report airlines that do nothing to to protect the integrity of the preboarding process for folks with disabilities.  As soon as I do, I will definately share.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you feel you've received discriminatory treatment on the basis of physical or mental disability by an air carrier, file a complaint with the DOT.

Complaints Alleging Discriminatory Treatment Against Disabled Travelers Under The Air Carrier Access...

As has been repeated here so, so, so many times: Southwest is doing all that it can, with respect to and within the limitations of the law, to ensure that the needs of it's disabled passengers are accommodated.

Southwest cannot ask for or require proof of disability as prerequisite for preboarding. Southwest can't make disabled passengers disembark last, or limit their seat choice once onboard.

If you feel that air carriers should be able to do so, I'd suggest you contact your congressperson, and lobby for changes to the federal laws that govern this area.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Also as has been said in the forum dozens (or more) of times:

1) The Air Carrier Access Act REQUIRES ALL AIRLINES to preboard EVERY PASSENGER who claims a need to pre board

2) Airlines ARE PROHIBITED from asking for proof of disability

3) Airlines ARE PROHIBITED from asking the nature of the disability

4) Thus if passengers claim a need to preboard, the airline MUST LET THEM PREBOARD.

If you don't like the law, contact your senators and congress person and tell them that you want to see the law changed.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

These laws are in place to, in part, protect the dignity of people who legitimately need extra time in boarding the plane. I don't think that they should be changed because some people are willing to sell their souls for a better seat on SWA.

If where you sit, or with whom you sit is important to you then you should book your flights on an airline that allows you to reserve your seats up front. (For an extra charge of course but then if you consider EB...)

For me, SWA is usually the most convenient and least expensive option. I don't really care where I sit but I do seem to get more and more frustrated seeing the ever growing line of pre boarders and seat savers.

Each time I fly I take a second look at the other options and have, from time to time, chosen other airlines so I don't have to deal with this nonsense. Unless SWA can get this under control on their own I expect to be using those other airlines a lot more in the future.

gsking
Aviator C

So it sounds like you don't REALLY care where you sit, but you care enough to either pay extra?  Or you just want to pay extra not to see them walk on the plane ahead of you?   You seem conflicted.

It's your money.   Just be sure you realize what you're truly paying for.  In my opinion, the mere notion of losing $200 if I can't catch a flight, or decide to fly earlier in the day, is absurd.  If it means watching annoying people board early, or cram oversized bags into the overhead that should have been (free) checked already, I'll accept it.  They'll still be idiots before and after the flight, and I'll still use my free drink coupon to temper my disdain for them.  Fair trade-off.

As a "ffflyer", I'm kinda surprised you're not A-list already.