Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I have no answer. so, I ask you again.

Sunkyu
Explorer C

We are scheduled to arrive at Asiana airlines OZ236. at 18:20 at the chicago O'hare airport on May 31. And, Southwest Airlines flight 363 at 20:50 midway airport to Orlando. Our family has only two and half hours, and we have to go through all the formalities during this time. Can you help me in southwest airlines? Or l'd appreciate it if you could tell me how to do it. What time should we arrive at the airport by at least? My confirmation number is LXJB6W. I look forward to your kind reply.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: I have no answer. so, I ask you again.

franktravel
Aviator B

First, Midway airport is 28 miles from O'hare and I would think that would take at least 1/2 hr to get there.  If your flight lands on time lets say it takes 1 hr to get off plane and go through Customs and get your bags that will leave you 1 hr at Midway! You should make it but It's going to be close! Southwest Airlines Website suggested airport arrival is 90 min before flight and checked bags need to be checked in 45 minutes prior to flight.  If you do not make it the next flight to MCO is on 6/1/18 at 5:15 am 

Good luck! 

bec102896
Aviator A

@Sunkyu

I actually did respond to your previous post 

Here is my reply on your previous post:

Hello

2.5 hours to get from ohare to midway should be enough time if you are on time and didn't had to go through customs but since you will have to go through customs if coming from out of country 2.5 hours is very risky and may not be enough time especially since you will have to get a cab or shuttle to go from one airport to the other and you won't know if your 1st flight is delayed until day of.

personally if I had to book a flight requiring an airport change I would allow at least 4 hours that way I can collect my bag if I checked one get a cab and allows for traffic then re check my bag at the new airport and go through security while allowing for a small flight delay.

If you are needing a copy of your flight confirmation you can call southwest at 800-435-9792 and they can re send it.

Another important note if you do miss your southwest flight without canceling 10min prior you will be considered a no show and they would cancel any other reservations on that confirmation number including the return where the WGA fare was purchased (just a heads up on that)

for your protection can you please edit your post to remove your confirmation number.

hope this helps
Blake

Also again for your own protection please edit your post to remove your confirmation number this is for your own reservations security 

Blake 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

This is not a customer service channel -- it's a customer-to-customer forum. If you need Southwest customer service, you'll need to contact them directly. I assume you're unable to access the website (access is blocked for those outside the US), so I recommend you direct message them on Twitter.

Two and a half hours is most likely not enough time for what you need to do. Assuming your international flight is on time, you'll need at least an hour for customs at O'Hare, then you'll need to get to Midway, which can take 45 minutes on a good day and well over an hour on a bad one. Then you'll need to check your bags with Southwest at Midway, at least 45 minutes prior to departure. If everything goes perfectly you'll be fine. But I'd give the chances of everything going perfectly low odds. Your international flight's arrival could be delayed, bags and customs could have a long wait, there could be an accident or lots of traffic between the airports.

I'd highly recommend that you consider rebooking your Southwest flight for the following day. While Southwest doesn't charge a change fee, you will likely need to pay the fare difference. You'll also need to book a hotel for the evening, but there are many relatively inexpensive ones near Midway.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

This is not a customer service channel -- it's a customer-to-customer forum. If you need Southwest customer service, you'll need to contact them directly. I assume you're unable to access the website (access is blocked for those outside the US), so I recommend you direct message them on Twitter.

Two and a half hours is most likely not enough time for what you need to do. Assuming your international flight is on time, you'll need at least an hour for customs at O'Hare, then you'll need to get to Midway, which can take 45 minutes on a good day and well over an hour on a bad one. Then you'll need to check your bags with Southwest at Midway, at least 45 minutes prior to departure. If everything goes perfectly you'll be fine. But I'd give the chances of everything going perfectly low odds. Your international flight's arrival could be delayed, bags and customs could have a long wait, there could be an accident or lots of traffic between the airports.

I'd highly recommend that you consider rebooking your Southwest flight for the following day. While Southwest doesn't charge a change fee, you will likely need to pay the fare difference. You'll also need to book a hotel for the evening, but there are many relatively inexpensive ones near Midway.

As another Chicagoan I would consider this to be pretty risky as well, there are several places in the chain of events that may take longer than expected. If all goes well you will make it, but either your inbound Asiana flight's timliness, customs, or traffic may all sabotage you.

I would at least have a backup plan in place to re-book your Southwest flight (don't no-show!) and stay near Midway to travel the next morning. Also whatever contingency is needed for your lodging in Orlando.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry, but I think it is doubtful that you can make it from ORD to MDW in 2.5 hours - in rush hour.

Complications:

1) if you try to take a cab, you'll likely run into  an hour ride from ORD to downtown and then another minimum 30 minutes toMDW.

2) If you take the CTA trains you still have to take the blue line to connect with the orange line. It might

be a bit fater than a cab - if you are lucky. I would not count on it.

3)Longer time to get off a 300 + seat Asiana plane.

4)Customs will take how long

3 and 4 above proba bly mean you'll have less than 1.5 hours to get from ORD to MDW.

As a point of reference, I allow 3 hours to travel from the far north side to MDW via bus/train, and it normally takes me 2 hours from front door to gate.

As other have said, I think you should contact Southwest to change your flight to the enxt day