Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Items missing from checked luggage

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sandysue79 wrote:

I bought a new watch while on vacation in Las Vegas last week. I packed it, still in the box, under stacks of clothes in my checked luggage. I took a direct flight #2290 from Las Vegas to Raleigh, North Carolina and when I unpacked my suitacase the box and watch were gone. After speaking with a Southwest employee and TSA I was told my luggage should have never left the view of security cameras. It has been over a week now and after filing police reports in both states, report with TSA, and reports with both airports I am still without my new watch. Lesson learned - NEVER pack anything valuable at all in your checked bags.

Actually the rule of thumb is never pack anything  you can't afford to lose in checked luggage : money, meds, valuables, priceless family photos, etc...

I will never fly Shouthwest ever again and I will be cancelling my credit card as soon as I drain the points I have left on it. 

Even though you don't know if the   thief was a TSA, SW or Las Vegas airport employee (edit add: or maybe a Raleigh airport employee)? Oh well, to each his own.. You want to blame someone even if you don't know who to blame

BTW, your credit card has no points on it. Points are transferred to your RR account every time Chase issues a monthly statement.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're sincerely sorry to hear about your missing watch, @sandysue79. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to follow the steps below to reach out via official Customer Service channels. Thanks!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

MoonstoneMary
Explorer C

I had jewelry stolen from my checked luggage on a direct flight from Tampa to Phoenix. I contacted Southwest and their response was that they cannot be liable since they did not inventory the contents of the bag. I am a jewelry maker so most of it was uniquely my design, fairly easy to spot. Unfortunately it also included a pretty little opal ring that my husband bought me many years ago. Sigh. Now Southwest is offering me a $50 voucher on my next flight, an insult for the value of what was lost. I don't usually check luggage so I've learned my lesson. I'll go back to hauling my bags across the airport instead of turning them over to petty thieves. And I probably will not fly on Southwest again.

sandysue79
Explorer B

A brand new watch that I purchased while on vacation was stolen from my checked bag. I will no longer fly with Southwest! I have filed multiple police reports, TSA report, and reports with the airline. No camera have been checked and nothing has been done. 

Re: Items missing from checked luggage a braclet

stagges92
Explorer C

my son bought me a braclet from monthers day last year we was going to orlando i took it so i could were to the party put it back in my luggage that night never used it only once he paid 700.00 dollars for it and i dont no how to tell him it was took out of the luggage on my flight coming back to dallas texas i cant belive my husband had it check in instead of us carring it on the plane as we did going i cant believe somone would still it out of my luggage before it would have the tag placed were it would keep the zipper from beening moved then you did not have to worry about you would no and could have done somthing at the point when u got it and found out it was gone i dont think i will use southwest again never did before always went thur dfw !

Re: Items missing from checked luggage a braclet

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're sorry to hear this, @stagges92. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to follow the steps below to reach out via official Customer Service channels. Thanks!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager