Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Known Traveler Number (KTN) aquired after flights booked

doghouse7
Explorer C

I had flights already booked prior to getting aTraveler Number (KTN).  I have received my KTN.  I went online to my SouthWest account.  I added the KTN in My Preferences. 

I need to know do I also need to call SouthWest to update my bookings with my KTN or will the KTN...TSA precheck automatically be applied to my boarding pass when I check in for the flight?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Known Traveler Number (KTN) aquired after flights booked

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You need to add it to your flights.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/addSecureInfoEntry.html

KaylaR
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @doghouse7:

If you've already booked your reservations prior to receiving your KTN, you'll need to add the number to your reservations prior to travel. This can happen one of three ways:

1) You can call Southwest and have one of our Customer Representatives add the KTN to all of your upcoming, booked reservations.

2) You can add the KTN online here.

3) You can see an Agent at the airport on the day of travel who can assist you with adding the KTN to your reservation.

Moving forward, if your KTN is in your Rapid Rewards account, just ensure you're logged in when booking and the system will automatically populate it into your new reservations.

-KaylaR

doghouse7
Explorer C

Thank you for your responses.  Actually after I went to into my SW account and added my KTN I went back to my SW with my trips already loaded and refreshed the trips and after I did this the "pre Check" with the little green checkmark automatically appeared.  This was extremely simple to do and I love the automated connetion the app has to the web site account information.

Thank you SW!!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Interesting, thanks for posting this! This has never been possible before -- just adding a KTN to a profile never automatically added it to already-booked flights, it had to be added to each already-booked flight manually. This is good news... and hopefully means that Southwest is addressing some of the systems issues with PreCheck.

doghouse7
Explorer C

Clarification:  K"TN I went back to my SW with my trips already loaded and refreshed"   I meant to say I went back to my SW APP and after I refreshed the APP and is automatically loaded the pre check.  This was tht cool part.

mknapp
Explorer C

I just returned from CA and my return flight was not TSA Pre-check even though I booked it including my Know Traveler number.  My flight out was TSA Pre-check but not home.  How does this happen?  I did not have my number with me so I had to go back through regular screening.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@mknapp wrote:

I just returned from CA and my return flight was not TSA Pre-check even though I booked it including my Know Traveler number.  My flight out was TSA Pre-check but not home.  How does this happen?  I did not have my number with me so I had to go back through regular screening.

@mknapp what was your departure airport on the return leg?  TSA PreCheck is airport and airline specific.  For example Long Beach, CA isn't listed on the Southwest PreCheck page (click here) that includes a list of PreCheck airports.

Also on the same Southwest page the following caveat is listed (look under the "Who is eligible?" heading):

"...no one is guaranteed expedited screening. Eligibility is determined by the TSA on a per-flight segment basis."

So even if you were flying out of an airport with PreCheck there could have been something going on with the TSA system that prevented you from getting the okay for the expedited security.

Customer | Home airport DCA