Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Last to Check in gets A Group but first and second get B Group?

Matt4202
Adventurer A

So we have a reservation for my SO, I and our little one each has its own separate confirmation number as each had separate travel funds and max it lets you use is 3.

Anyways - I checked myself in first exactly 24 hours before on the dot and got B29, checked our little one in next he got B30. Here’s where it gets weird I checked my SO in last and she got A29.

That makes no sense at all and makes it feel a bit rigged rather than a true first come first serve as it’s always been.

Any thoughts? We’re all on the same 2 flights same connecting flight everything.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Last to Check in gets A Group but first and second get B Group?

dfwskier
Aviator A

In the past SW has "reused" boarding positions of people who cancel flights. My guess is someone cancelled just before your son who got A29. So your son got it.

Just the luck of the draw.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Very strange to happen in less than a minute though out of 3 people checking in.

My SO got the A boarding group designation. I’m wondering if her A List status may be a factor that’s the only thing I can think of giving her an A and the other 2 being B Group as the other 2 have no status, just strange.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

Very strange to happen in less than a minute though out of 3 people checking in.

My SO got the A boarding group designation. I’m wondering if her A List status may be a factor that’s the only thing I can think of giving her an A and the other 2 being B Group as the other 2 have no status, just strange.

SO is A-List?  Well then of course she's going to get an A position.  That's the whole point of A-List.  If you had booked together you would have also gotten at least one other A position.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

Actually it makes sense - the A-list people are getting their reminders right then as well of the position they got and this occasionally will remind someone that they forgot to cancel a flight 😁

I would say if you are checking for availability on a sold out flight, right after the 24-hour mark is a great time as you may catch a couple of cancelations right at that time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

Well yes, the A-list numbers are assigned at 36 hours prior and starting at 24 hours you are just collecting the boarding pass. It would have been the same number even if SO checked in at the airport just prior to the flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Btw, you can book all 3 people together and use 3 payments per passenger.

--TheMiddleSeat

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

@Matt4202 wrote:

So we have a reservation for my SO, I and our little one each has its own separate confirmation number as each had separate travel funds and max it lets you use is 3.

Anyways - I checked myself in first exactly 24 hours before on the dot and got B29, checked our little one in next he got B30. Here’s where it gets weird I checked my SO in last and she got A29.

That makes no sense at all and makes it feel a bit rigged rather than a true first come first serve as it’s always been.

Any thoughts? We’re all on the same 2 flights same connecting flight everything.

Hey @Matt4202! Your SO has actually been hit by a stroke of luck—and frankly I'm jealous. Next to snagging a lower fare and receiving a travel credit, this is my favorite Southwest phenomenon. Whenever a Southwest Customer checks in for their flight, they automatically receive the best available boarding position. As @dfwskier mentioned, if another Customer who has already checked in cancels or switches to another flight, it frees up their boarding position for the next lucky person checking in. If I am in your SO's shoes—and I wish I was because I'll be traveling with my family on July 3rd—I'd board ahead of you and your little one and try to save seats. If that's not her style, and if your little one is 6 years old or younger, you all can board together after the A group during Family Boarding. We look forward to seeing you and your family soon!

Nicole
Community Manager

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Thanks for the information Nicole!

I’ve flown Southwest a lot over the last 5ish years and I’ve never seen or heard of that happening. Good to know.

rctech
Explorer C

This just happened to me. flying with 89 mom that needs a wheelchair. I checked in at the 24hr mark. got B9. got distracted and checked her in about 45min later. she got A46! She is not A-list. As noted in another reply, somebody who had A46 probly changed or cancelled.

It's all moot because I will accompany mom as a preboard.