Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Layover flight luggage

perton
Explorer C

I have a quick question, I will soon be traveling, and it will be my first time having a layover flight before reaching the final destination; when I arrive at the first stop, should I claim my luggage and recheck it, or does it get moved onto my next flight without me having to do anything? Not sure if this will affect it, but there is about a 5-hour difference between when I stop and when I depart again.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Layover flight luggage

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

When you check-in your baggage initially, the final destination airport should be on your baggage claim ticket. If it's not may be you purchased 2 separate flights? The 5 hour lay over seems out of the ordinary so please confirm it with the SWA agent when you check your bag

Safe travels 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

If you booked as a one way flight it should check all the way prior to Covid SW didn’t sell layovers over 4 hours but on a normal reservation you can’t check a bag more than 4 hours before your flight so hopefully your bag will go though without the recheck but as mentioned I would check with the agent when checking the bag to make sure it goes all the way

another way to verify is look at the bag tag and make sure the city listed is your final destination 

if you don’t know your destination airport code you can always ask 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@perton wrote:

I have a quick question, I will soon be traveling, and it will be my first time having a layover flight before reaching the final destination; when I arrive at the first stop, should I claim my luggage and recheck it, or does it get moved onto my next flight without me having to do anything? Not sure if this will affect it, but there is about a 5-hour difference between when I stop and when I depart again.

Don't send us any personally identifying information but if you wanted to share the route cities it might help us.

For instance if this is an international flight into the US then you will claim your bags and go through customs and re-check.

For all other scenarios if you booked it as a one-way ticket then I think you can collect everything at the end.

Five hours is atypical but there might be an exception for some of the infrequently served airports. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.