Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lindsey, please just answer one question about OPEN seating

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Hi Lindsey

Please just answer this one question.

In regards to the SWA "open seating" policy, if I see a seat that does not have a person sitting in it, is that seat open and/or "available"?

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Lindsey, please just answer one question about OPEN seating

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm not Lindsey, but the answer is yes. 

You seem to know this based on your previous posts: "Ignore the seat savers claim and just sit wherever you want to.  If there is not a person in the seat, its open." 

Suggesting crew should be disciplined because they don't want to get in the middle of your little power struggle is a bit much. 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

The FA who told a passenger that a person could save as many seats as they wanted to should absolutely be disciplined.

It isnt a power struggle.

If I paid $30 per person to board after those faking preboard requirements, I look for bulkhead seats.  If there is not a person sitting in them, they get sat in.

If a person who wanted to save them for his friends in the C boarding group, then escalates to cursing, threatening, etc then the FA just takes a netural position until the physical altercation?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

The FA who told a passenger that a person could save as many seats as they wanted to should absolutely be disciplined.

It isnt a power struggle.

Wrong. according to Southwest's "non-policy," she was correct.

seat saving.png

"Work it out among themselves" is absolutely a power struggle.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Seeing as their non policy is that there is "no policy for or against" saving seats, telling someone that the policy says a person can save as many seats as they like is a lie.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Ok @spacecoastbill, we get that you don't like how Southwest handles this.  Fair enough, it's not for everyone.  You asked for clarification, you got it from two folks.  Anything else we can help you with?

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

OK @TheMiddleSeat I asked a question, you didnt like the answer so you throw out ridiculous claims.

I asked a specific question and Im still waiting for a definitive answer from SWA, not you.

As you stated, you are not Lindsay.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yikes.

How is it possible that you don't understand what "no policy for or against" means?

I have to laugh at all of this anger over Southwest's non-policy.

As I've stated before, the only ultimate solution to these issues caused by the non policy and pre-boarding abuse is the implementation of assigned seating.

Keep complaining and that's what will happen.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@chgoflyer I'm hoping he'll keep complaining and go to another airline where he can complain about something else. I certainly wouldn't want him sitting next to me, regardless if I was saving the seat or not. 

Usually when I fly I try to figure out if I can buy a drink for anyone around me (sooo many drink coupons to use). He seems more intent on upsetting as many people as possible. Different strokes for different folks. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Seat saving is intrinsically unfair in an "open seating" system -- especially to those who have bought BS or EBCI or who have status. And it's getting worse. But as long as Southwest refuses to do anything about it, there's not much customers can do.

Except vote with their wallet of course.

I just don't understand the anger. There are so many more things going on in the world right now that deserve attention. But to each their own I suppose.