Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lines are getting ridiculous

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I went to check in this morning in OKC, and the line was snaked around down the lobby and back and out the door and down the sidewalk. It was 4:30 in the morning. Seriously? And, it is only going to get worse. I do not understand why there isn't an A-List line. The justification that they aren't busy enough just doesn't ring true.

FF get relatively few benefits on Southwest, and this one doesn't cost them anything other than an extra sign. I can't imagine what it is going to look like in a few more weeks. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Lines are getting ridiculous

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

at 4:30a!

"They" aren't kidding when they say travel is going to come back vigorously 

jksobonya
Aviator A

Is this the line to check in / check your bag? When I flew home from Vegas last month the check in area inside the terminal was 100% packed and there was a line that not only went out the door, it went so far down the sidewalk it was past the entire Southwest terminal area. I've never seen anything like it in my life and was thanking my lucky stars I did not have to check a bag.

--Jessica

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Yeah. That was the check-in line. I didn't have to check a bag, but I wanted to get an extra seat. I just went to the gate and did it there. But, they didn't open the desk until 40 minutes before the flight since everyone was working check in until the last minute. Flight was completely full. Oversold even. They still gave me an extra seat even though i meant an additional voluntary bump.

bec102896
Aviator A

I had a similar experience back in March in DEN they still had a A List line you just had to find the end of that line which was just as long as the regular line going out the door. I hadn’t seen a line like that in years I was surprised but luckily I was there early so i didn’t have any issues. 

I am curious as to how they added the 2nd seat when the flight was overbooked though. I guess lucky for you I’ve heard that others who asked about the extra seat were the ones who were bumped when the flight was full or overbooked. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@bec102896 I've had them do this before. I have lost weight, and I'm honestly pushing it now, but I'll keep doing it as long as I can. The only empty seat on the plane was next to me. When I was doing this, I heard them tell someone else that he was 4th on the bump list, and that he would probably get it.

bec102896
Aviator A

@bwallet exactly what I would do take advantage as long as I could. I mean after all the little extra space is nice right? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I am curious as to how they added the 2nd seat when the flight was overbooked though. I guess lucky for you I’ve heard that others who asked about the extra seat were the ones who were bumped when the flight was full or overbooked. 

In the last few years, didn't Southwest announce that it would no longer overbook flights?

So theoretically the only way an overbook could happen is on an aircraft swap -- a 737-700 for either an 800 or Max8 

edit add:

https://www.businessinsider.com/southwest-ceo-says-airline-will-no-longer-overbook-flights-2017-4

gsking
Aviator C

@dfwskier wrote:

@bec102896 wrote:

In the last few years, didn't Southwest announce that it would no longer overbook flights?

I thought I read somewhere that they might need the seats for employees to reposition them due to unforeseen circumstances.