Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost ID while traveling - Return flight and checking bags

Luv7414
Explorer C

My daughter had her wallet and phone stolen while traveling.  She's scheduled to return home tomorrow.  I've read many related posts online.  I've been able to email her copies of various docs, including her driver license.  Between those docs, plus what she has in her possession, such as a student ID and a prescription bottle with her name, I believe she'll be able to get through TSA.  Is it safe to assume that with the same items, that will suffice to check in at the Southwest counter and check her bags, since she'd have to do that before she goes through TSA?  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Lost ID while traveling - Return flight and checking bags

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hopefuly, TSA answered your question on the TSA website

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification#forgotID

I suspect that the official TSA response is the best you can expect on this forum. 

As long as she has herconfirmation number she can check in and obtain her Southwest boarding pass -- no id needed.

I believe she can check her bags at a kiosk - again with a confirmation number, although since I've never done that, I am not as certain of the answer 

Luv7414
Explorer C

Thank you.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The photocopy of the driver's license will be extremely helpful.

Student identification even with a photo can't be used as a primary source of ID, but it will be helpful to establish identification and cross-check the copy of the driver's license.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Explorer C

Sad news.  I called TSA and they said to contact you for ID travel requirements.   Seems like a circus when trying to get answers.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@55552571 wrote:

Sad news.  I called TSA and they said to contact you for ID travel requirements.   Seems like a circus when trying to get answers.

You do not need id to check in at Southwest. You need a confirmation number and your name. You can get that by logging in to your account or by referring to the e-mail that Southwest sent you when you completed the booking. If you don't know how to do that you can check in by using a credit card at the airport.

Earlier in this thread I provided a link to the TSA website eplaining what you need to do if you've lost your ID. I'd suggest that you refer to  that link. TSA sets the rules about what it takes to clear security, not Southwest.

EDIT ADD: TSA knows lots about you  so they'll ask you quetions that theoretically only you know the answer. You can help by bringing other evidence with you: passport, checkbook, credit card, photo id's from other organiztions: library , etc.

Just be aware that without an ID, it will take more time to clear security.  Please be sure to allow plenty of time.

Depending on when you're traveling, you can go to your state's drivers license bureau to obtain a temporary license.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Note that while you can check in without an ID, you are always asked to show your government-issued ID when checking a bag.  I am not sure the implication of not having that.  I would reach out to the Twitter team at @southwestair.  I bet they could get you a quick answer on how you could get the bag checked without an ID.  They might accept the copy!

-A List, Companion Pass holder