Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost Silver/Grey Hard Plastic Carry On

JT424
Explorer C

I need help. I was on a flight on February 28th, 2023 from Orlando (MCO) to Houston (HOU) with my mom, and we were headed to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO). When we landed in Houston, a gentleman offered to help my mom with her carry-on. She accepted, and he gave her a carry-on that looked similar to ours.

For those who are reading, the flights are as follows:

1017 - MCO to HOU

112 - HOU to SJO

We didn’t realize we had the wrong bag until we got to my mom’s office in San Jose, and we immediately returned the one we picked up. We weren’t able to make a lost item report until March 7th. I provided a description of the bag and its contents which included my purple galaxy backpack. Inside the backpack was my university ID, a pencil case, and two flash drives that contained personal information of mine like school records, vaccination records, and certifications. Really personal things that can get my identity stolen. I even provided a picture of the lost items in that report, and 30 days later we were told that it couldn’t be found. I re-filed on April 19th, and I’m still waiting on it. 

I don’t know where else to turn, so I’m using this as a last call for help. If anyone can give me solace, or if anyone has seen this suitcase, please let me know. I need help. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Lost Silver/Grey Hard Plastic Carry On

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I wouldn't give up hope on the lost item report, it seems like that process can take quite a bit of time. It's good and bad that you had so much identifying information in the bag. Good if the bag gets into the lost and found system, that should make it easy to match with you. Thinking of the alternative, you may want to freeze your credit or obtain some basic ID theft monitoring for a little while just to be safe. Good luck!

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

It seems the other gentleman has your bag -- not Southwest. If he returns it to Southwest, you might get it back. If not ....

It seems you had his bag though. Was his contact information contained within?

JT424
Explorer C

The carryon we accidentally picked up did have a man’s name and address tag inside, so we called Southwest and the very next day we dropped it off at the airport. There wasn’t a phone number or anything. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@JT424 wrote:

The carryon we accidentally picked up did have a man’s name and address tag inside, so we called Southwest and the very next day we dropped it off at the airport. There wasn’t a phone number or anything. 

If you happened to take a picture of that contact information I would give him a ring and see if he had your suitcase and if so, where did he drop it off. (Or still has it, waiting for you to call.)

If he didn't ever have yours (realized right away it was incorrect and left it onboard) then it would be handled by HOU baggage services if it was turned in right away or else possibly at the future destination if the bag stayed onboard for a future connection until it was noticed as being left behind.

Side note for others: tag your carry-on bags just like your checked bags!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@JT424 wrote:

If you happened to take a picture of that contact information I would give him a ring and see if he had your suitcase and if so, where did he drop it off. (Or still has it, waiting for you to call.)

If he didn't ever have yours (realized right away it was incorrect and left it onboard) then it would be handled by HOU baggage services if it was turned in right away or else possibly at the future destination if the bag stayed onboard for a future connection until it was noticed as being left behind.

Side note for others: tag your carry-on bags just like your checked bags!

Re-reading this you said no phone number - but was he local to HOU? That would help a lot if he had taken your bag to the HOU baggage service.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@JT424 wrote:

I need help. I was on a flight on February 28th, 2023 from Orlando (MCO) to Houston (HOU) with my mom, and we were headed to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO). When we landed in Houston, a gentleman offered to help my mom with her carry-on. She accepted, and he gave her a carry-on that looked similar to ours.

For those who are reading, the flights are as follows:

1017 - MCO to HOU

112 - HOU to SJO

We didn’t realize we had the wrong bag until we got to my mom’s office in San Jose, and we immediately returned the one we picked up. We weren’t able to make a lost item report until March 7th. I provided a description of the bag and its contents which included my purple galaxy backpack. Inside the backpack was my university ID, a pencil case, and two flash drives that contained personal information of mine like school records, vaccination records, and certifications. Really personal things that can get my identity stolen. I even provided a picture of the lost items in that report, and 30 days later we were told that it couldn’t be found. I re-filed on April 19th, and I’m still waiting on it. 

I don’t know where else to turn, so I’m using this as a last call for help. If anyone can give me solace, or if anyone has seen this suitcase, please let me know. I need help. 

Just trying to backtrack a little on the description - you boarded the plane like normal in MCO, then when you landed in HOU someone helped you get your bag from the overhead, but grabbed the wrong one that was the same or similar model?

Then you went on to SJO with the incorrect bag, the gentleman that helped you was not on your flight to SJO? And it wasn't him who had the similar suitcase, it was someone else on the flight.

1) If the person with the matching bag realized the swap right away, and if they happened to be disembarking in HOU then your bag probably went to HOU baggage office. This would be an extraordinarily long time for them to still have it though, it most likely has gone on to the lost luggage holding facility near Hunstville, AL.

2) The precautions that @TheMiddleSeat mentioned make sense but I would take some comfort that your bag would have to fall into the hands of someone who was inclined for mischief who happened to have your matching bag - overall the statistical likelihood is that it has just been misplaced and for whatever reason having trouble making a match in the lost and found system.

However I wouldn't assume that the lost and found center will try to read your USB disks, make sure your report included detailed description of what would be visible on the outside of the bag and then any cursory view inside. Send a new report if needed.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I found this number online for reaching Aero Services, who may also be the Southwest lost and found contractor? Might be worth a try.

256-999-0980

Leave a detailed message when you call, they most likely won't pick up the phone.