Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Luggage tracking

Simplycourtney8
Explorer C

Anyone know how we can track when we will receive our luggage that's been held hostage by southwest after our flight got cancelled? 

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Luggage tracking

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I don't believe any tracking is available. 

--TheMiddleSeat

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

Nope, relying on SW's word to return the luggage.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Unfortunately, Southwest is not using technology like barcoding that was invented in the 50s that most retailers began using in the 80s.  We can only assume because it is easier to do nothing than to spend a dime to update your archaic software systems.

My suggestion to everyone here is that if you do not have you luggage in your hands, file a claim for lost luggage.  I don't care if some gate agent is telling you that they're bringing it up to you right now, file the claim.

The website has been changed to add a quick claim for lost luggage.  It only took Southwest about 10 days to get that done in the middle of the mess.

Sweetsikh
Explorer C

Still trying to know the fate of my checked luggage since Dec 24 ! Southwest has ruined my 2 week vacation to Vancouver, BC as they put me on a flight to Seattle on Dec 25 in place of my Dec 24 flight to Bellingham, Wa. I arrived at Seattle on Dec 25 but not my luggage !

Swish
Explorer C

There is no tracking possible by SWA.  They do not have this IT enhancement even though the major carriers do have it.  This feature should be made available forthwith by SWA IT department. 

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

This is great feedback and I hope the team will implement it soon!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

jksobonya
Aviator A

Pro Tip for the future if you are worried about lost luggage is to have an Apple AirTag in your luggage so you can track your luggage wherabouts yourself. I just bought one, and everyone must have the same idea because they're sold out everywhere. Mine won't be delivered for over a week and I ordered from Apple.com.

--Jessica

floridaguy
Aviator C

Why should I buy a tracking device?  Let Southwest upgrade its 1980s system and adopt barcoding and realtime tracking of items.

The legal fallout from the recent disaster will be around for a long, long time.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Why should I buy a tracking device?  Let Southwest upgrade its 1980s system and adopt barcoding and realtime tracking of items.

The legal fallout from the recent disaster will be around for a long, long time.

Blah, blah, blah blah, blah