Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

MDW misogynistic unprofessional gate agent

teamkellyfive
Explorer C
The MOST UNPROFESSIONAL, MISOGYNISTIC gate agent EVER.
April 4, 2021 I flew with my husband from MDW to MCO on Flight 1382. After being scanned by gate agent, Victor, I preceded down the jetway to called the back and told to step aside and consolidate my three bags, as I had inadvertently been left with my daughter's purse, thus had three bags to include my small carry-on and my purse. I stepped off the jetway, to the side as to not impede further boarding as my husband was scanned onto the jetway. My husband bent down to assist the consolidation at which point, Victor became rude, impatiently stating. "Sir you've got to continue, I've gotta get this thing boarded." There were no other passengers behind us at this point and we were 30 minutes prior to departure. Our consolidation efforts were all of 60 seconds, very easily splitting the contents of my daughter's purse between my own and my small carry-on. With consolidation complete, I stood to return to the jetway, having already been scanned. At which point Victor became agitated and insisted I re-present my boarding pass. I had to retrieve the pass from the contents of my purse which was now in disarray and required me to step aside once more, crouching down to rifle through the contents, including much unrelated work paperwork in which the boarding pass had been hurriedly shoved.
Victor identified the pass on the floor as I was still searching the contents and asked, "Is that it, lovey?" I responded, "At this point, I don't think you should call me "lovey". My husband witnessed this exchange from the jetway and asked Victor to step aside and speak to him, "As a fellow airline employee, I would suggest you don't use degrading terms like that with passengers, that's exactly what gets us fired". Victor immediately jumped in my husband's face angrily asking, "Are you threatening me? You are threatening me!" At which time my husband politely asked to speak to his supervisor. Victor retorted "He's already on his way!" Manager Ward Hughes approached me, immediately apologized and invited me to board the plane.
I have never been treated with such misogynistic, disrespectful behavior. I doubt this is the first time Victor has handled a situation with such unprofessional conduct.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: MDW misogynistic unprofessional gate agent

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

You can express your situation with customer support using the CONTACT US link.  Suffice to say, sometimes not everybody has the customer at heart, or something else caused this situation.   I hope you get a resolution.

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/index.html

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@teamkellyfive wrote:
The MOST UNPROFESSIONAL, MISOGYNISTIC gate agent EVER.
Victor immediately jumped in my husband's face angrily asking, "Are you threatening me? You are threatening me!" At which time my husband politely asked to speak to his supervisor. Victor retorted "He's already on his way!" Manager Ward Hughes approached me, immediately apologized and invited me to board the plane.
I have never been treated with such misogynistic, disrespectful behavior. I doubt this is the first time Victor has handled a situation with such unprofessional conduct.

If you got to speak to the supervisor right then that's the best case. Use one of the Contact Customer Relations options if you'd like to follow up after your travel is complete.

I would feel confident that the gate agent's attitude will be discussed with the manager.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

Hmm, sounds fine to me.   You were told to follow the FAA regulations, and got annoyed apparently.   Then you were called "lovey" when he helped you find your boarding pass.   The rest of the fracas was initiated by you and your husband. 

I'm surprised if he works in the industry, he didn't realize that's common vernacular for male flight attendants, and possibly also gate agents. 

So, much ado about nothing.  You are frankly being uptight and overly sensitive.   You'll get no sympathy from most folks here, I suspect.  

In short,  "Relax,  Karen".