Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Massive Fail SWA....

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

www.lawenforcementtoday.com/southwest-airlines-we-dont-recognize-law-enforcement-media-in-chicago/?f...

“We don’t recognize your little ‘law enforcement media’ thing here in Chicago,” he said.  “You can complain to your little cop buddies. But in the meantime, I’m the boss and what I say goes.”

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Massive Fail SWA....

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, Southwest agents, perhaps as a side effect of the corporate culture of empowerment, sometimes inconsistently apply policy. It can happen more often when it's a policy that is not well defined to begin with. In this case, the gentleman making the complaint seems to be blowing things way out of proportion, in my opinion to further his own agenda. (The language he's using to describe the agent's comments makes that clear.)

I definitely wouldn't consider this a "massive fail." Just another minor issue of the type that happens all the time and could have easily been fixed with a call to Southwest after the fact. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Unfortunately, Southwest agents, perhaps as a side effect of the corporate culture of empowerment, sometimes inconsistently apply policy. It can happen more often when it's a policy that is not well defined to begin with. In this case, the gentleman making the complaint seems to be blowing things way out of proportion, in my opinion to further his own agenda. (The language he's using to describe the agent's comments makes that clear.)

I definitely wouldn't consider this a "massive fail." Just another minor issue of the type that happens all the time and could have easily been fixed with a call to Southwest after the fact. 

Completely agree.

This guy allegedly flies every week with Southwest  and uses the Fly By Lanes. Really? I'd of thought he would be smart enough to go TSA Pre or Global Access. Apparently not.

The article is a rant. Pure and simple. He threw all the excrement he could think of at the wall and waited to see what would stick.

Besides as a cop, he should know that rules  are rule, and laws are laws. Yet he said:

"The heaviest of the media bags had been four pounds over.  Four pounds.  These Southwest employees decided to make a debacle and insult the entire law enforcement community over four pounds."

It was over the limit, and this self entitled idiot is complaining about it.

Maybe I can use that one the next time I'm pulled over for speeding "Well officer, I was only a little over the limit." Lotta good that will do me.

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

'Besides as a cop, he should know that rules  are rule, and laws are laws. "

He's not a cop. He's a guy that runs a website who dresses like a cop.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

And while he DID follow the rules, the SWA employee did not.

@StAugustine wrote:

'Besides as a cop, he should know that rules  are rule, and laws are laws. "

He's not a cop. He's a guy that runs a website who dresses like a cop.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

However, he should not have had to worry about those 4 pounds as he clearly qualified for an exception as he followed the rules.

The writer followed the rules, SWA employee did not.  That makes the rest of this comment of yours irrelevant.

@dfwskier wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

Completely agree.

This guy allegedly flies every week with Southwest  and uses the Fly By Lanes. Really? I'd of thought he would be smart enough to go TSA Pre or Global Access. Apparently not.

The article is a rant. Pure and simple. He threw all the excrement he could think of at the wall and waited to see what would stick.

Besides as a cop, he should know that rules  are rule, and laws are laws. Yet he said:

"The heaviest of the media bags had been four pounds over.  Four pounds.  These Southwest employees decided to make a debacle and insult the entire law enforcement community over four pounds."

Maybe I can use that one the next time I'm pulled over for speeding "Well officer, I was only a little over the limit." Lotta good that will do me.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

However, he should not have had to worry about those 4 pounds as he clearly qualified for an exception as he followed the rules.

The writer followed the rules, SWA employee did not.  That makes the rest of this comment of yours irrelevant.

BTW, with very little exception, being a little over isnt getting you a ticket.  

@dfwskier wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

Completely agree.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

IMHO both a massive fail in the employee applying a personal bias to punish a person she didnt agree with, fail in applying the rules correctly, and most importantly a massive fail in her condescending addressing of the customer.

And these condescending, biased, and dismissive comments are definitely massive fails for anyone in a customer service position.  Both need to have a discipline event in their file, and retraining.

“Yeah? What “media” do you think you wit?”
“That ain’t no media I ever heard of,”
“We don’t recognize your little ‘law enforcement media’ thing here in Chicago,” he said. “You can complain to your little cop buddies. But in the meantime, I’m the boss and what I say goes.”
“Yeah, you go ahead and write a little blog about it to your two followers,”

@chgoflyer wrote:

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

So anyone who runs a website is considered "media" nowadays?

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A

I realize the author of the article is not the one posting here but for anyone curious here is official the Southwest wording:

"Camera, film, video, lighting, and sound equipment will be accepted when presented by a representative of a network or local television broadcasting company or a commercial filmmaking company. A fee of $75 will be charged for each item in excess of the free baggage allowance. Media equipment will not be assessed oversized or overweight charges."

Source:

Click on "Cameras and Film" on the following link:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

Customer | Home airport DCA