Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Military Boarding Policy

jdblog
Explorer C

Just booked a flight for our son who’s new in the Navy so he can come home for Christmas. Called SWA to confirm military boarding policy, the customer service person was clear “...there is no policy”.  Promptly cancelled the RT ticket and rebooked to Alaska where they clearly support military personnel and have a well defined and written policy to back it up.  Not to mention it’s a consistent policy.

Btw, we called to ask about the military discount and it’s actually more expensive than the ticked we booked on-line...shame on SWA for taking advantage of people.  Buyer beware is the best rule with these folks.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@jdblog wrote:

Btw, we called to ask about the military discount and it’s actually more expensive than the ticked we booked on-line

It depends on when you're buying the ticket with the military rate.  The third party web site linked below does a good job of explaining when it may make the most sense to pursue a military rate ticket, for example when buying close the departure and/or when Wanna Get Away fares are not available  Here's a quote followed by the source link:

"Overall the Southwest military discount is perfect for when you need to make last-minute travel plans. In those cases, the “Wanna Get Away” prices can be booked up, and you might be left with very high prices. Regular rates can sometimes be over half what the “Wanna Get Away” or the military rate might be."

https://collegerecon.com/southwest-military-discount/

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWAhatemilitary
Explorer C

I'm in St Louis and the gate agent specifically said "in uniform".  It's definitely southwest's official policy and these people are being taught to say this. 

AWACSooner
Explorer C

Just boarded OKC-LAS...ZERO mentioning of military boarding anymore...so I'm assuming they've eliminated it altogether.

I actually wrote them a letter a few months ago regarding their lack of standardization on this misguided policy and received the general "we are marching what the other airlines are doing."  This is simply FALSE.  Every other major allows ANY active duty military to have priority boarding, uniforms not required...because they're smart enough to realize that, other than the newbies fresh out of basic training, just about NO ONE is authorized to travel in uniform anymore due to security risks.  Hell, even Allegiant gives preferential treatment to Dependants and Retirees.  
The other excuse I got from them was they wanted to limit the amount of military boarding because it would cheapen the folks who bought the Early Bird boarding.  Finally...the truth came out...profit over prople!

Herb's airline is dead...

Brian126aa
Explorer B

Again,  the issue differs from City to City.   SWA need a policy.

@SWAhatemilitary wrote:

I'm in St Louis and the gate agent specifically said "in uniform".  It's definitely southwest's official policy and these people are being taught to say this.