Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Military Boarding Policy

Brian126aa
Explorer B

Sacramento still refuses to let military board between A &B unless in Uniform.   I will avoid southwest at all costs.  

Esk432
Explorer C

My son was just boarding his delayed flight from Dallas, TX to  to return to his Navy air station in San Diego. Him and another service member neither in uniform, went to board when military was called after priority boarding. The service member in front of him clearly white, showed his military ID and ticket was scanned and he was allowed to board. My son right behind him , who is half white half Hispanic has dark hair showed his military ID and the attendant told him he could not board and needed to return to B 42 position to wait to board. I have never heard of such utter disrespect for our service members , but also the utter display of prejudice that occurred . I am appalled at the gate attendants hatred and disrespect. attendant  was at Gate 2 Dallas Lovefield airport Dallas to San Diego departure at 10:25 (delayed) originally supposed to depart at 10:05 12/29/22. I want answers!!! 

Smaso3949
Explorer C

I completely agree. Not only that, while boarding my flight I was unsure of boarding policy so I asked a Southwest employee. She didn't even stop and look at me, but rudely brushed past me and called over her shoulder "Only in uniform!" I was astounded. And FYI, Southwest, sometimes it's actually dangerous for military to fly in uniform because depending on where we are going it makes us a target. Which is why I wasn't flying in my dress uniform because frankly I don't want possibly hostile attention drawn to me in a completely foreign country. It's not even that I didn't get to board sooner. It's how I was treated and the fact that this policy is completely ridiculous.

Krusheski
Explorer C

I have been in the army 16+ yrs for opsec issues we are not allowed to fly in uniform and normally showing i.d in civilians is good enough. But never have I had a staff member denie me or be rude about it until today, I will make sure all my soldiers and other military frnds don't use southwest agin. The way I was treated and the inappropriate words used were uncalled for and in professional!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Krusheski wrote:

I have been in the army 16+ yrs for opsec issues we are not allowed to fly in uniform and normally showing i.d in civilians is good enough. But never have I had a staff member denie me or be rude about it until today, I will make sure all my soldiers and other military frnds don't use southwest agin. The way I was treated and the inappropriate words used were uncalled for and in professional!

I'm really sorry to hear that about your treatment. Please know that many fellow passengers are thankful for your service, and I expect most Southwest employees are also apparently with a few exceptions, one of whom you must have met that day.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dwelling
Explorer C

I have flown SWA as a military member and for personal travel  for over 20 years. My branch generally disallows traveling in uniform anywhere. Today at the Jacksonville (JAX) airport, traveling on orders, I was denied military boarding for the very first time because I was in civilian attire with ID and orders in-hand. If you are going to allow those traveling on orders to board between groups A & B then do so so that you do not discriminate against branches that do not allow uniform wear for travel.

Southwest will no longer be my airline of choice.

MilitaryDenied
Explorer C

This very thing happened to me today (20180607).  Phoenix to Ontario flight 2111.

First time I've received this from a SWA gate agent - "Sorry for the policy confusion, but Southwest policy only allows early boarding for service members on military holidays and for those in uniform."  FYI SWA, 99.9% of service members don't travel in uniform.

Southwest just lost another frequent flyer for good.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@MilitaryDenied wrote:

This very thing happened to me today (20180607).  Phoenix to Ontario flight 2111.

First time I've received this from a SWA gate agent - "Sorry for the policy confusion, but Southwest policy only allows early boarding for service members on military holidays and for those in uniform."  FYI SWA, 99.9% of service members don't travel in uniform.

First of all, thank you for your service to the United States.

Were you traveling on military business today or on personal business?

I'm sorry to hear that you've given up on Southwest over this incident. In my experience, irritating incidents happen at every airline but, in the end, Southwest always rises above the rest. I hope you will be back.

Choohooo
Explorer B

@rtbarron wrote:

@MilitaryDenied wrote:

First of all, thank you for your service to the United States.

Were you traveling on military business today or on personal business?

I'm sorry to hear that you've given up on Southwest over this incident. In my experience, irritating incidents happen at every airline but, in the end, Southwest always rises above the rest. I hope you will be back.

Once again, Phoenix stopped me at the gate. I fly 1-2 times a month and it’s only an issue in Phoenix.

I was even prepared with orders in hand and showed him the top line — “Prohibition of wear of army uniforms  using commercial travel.” He laughed and said, “I don’t doubt you’re getting deployed but if you want to board early you have to be in uniform.”

I just left my family of four crying children and a wife at security so I can sleep alone in the dirt for 6 months.

This is a sham policy. Like I said in a previous post, Southwest doesn’t really care about the armed services. They just like sounding supportive over the intercom for publicity reasons. Hoooooaaa southwest!!

Acabral33
Explorer C

I have been flying YEARS with southwest. NOT. IN. UNIFORM. Ever. Today I was told by  the boarding agent she was “doing me a favor” by letting me on and not being in uniform after showing her my ID. I had boarded another flight previously that day in Tampa and WAS allowed to board between groups A and B. If you’re going to give me an attitude and roll you eyes... not to mention YELL down the walkway to me about your favor continued by several “your welcome”’s, then by all means, keep your policy to yourself. Disgusting that you’re yelling “you’re welcome” to military personnel. Just disgusting. I think it’s time we stop using southwest. Period.