Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Military Boarding Policy

Tac223
Explorer C

Just happened to me. I fly at least 20 times a year over the past 6 years with SW. I never ever ever been turned away cause I’m not physically in uniform even though it’s in my carry-on.  YOU SHOULD NEVER FLY IN UNIFORM!! The worst part is how embarrassing it was. Like she was loud and obnoxious and people were staring at me. Highly unprofessional.  If anything it’s a horrible fake PR stunt if you need to be in uniform. 

Em_Flies
Explorer A

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry that all of you military personnel have experienced this. THANK YOU for all you do for us!

Really, the problem is that the policy isn't equally enforced, it sounds like. If there's a policy, enforce it, and make it easy--if people can't travel in military uniform, and it sounds like this is the case most of the time, then Southwest clearly needs to change their policy to allowing military personnel to show appropriate ID to board in their special class. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I have zero issues with a member of the military going before me on a flight. None. Nada. Zilch. 

Jmess
Explorer C

I don't know about the rest of the military, but I do know that my office discourages the use of Southwest for official travel. I also do not think Southwest is military friendly. Maybe this is a rage post because today Southwest has once again disgusted me with their inadequate customer service.  I personally do not have a problem with their boarding rule of in uniform, although I agree for security reasons my unit is not authorized to fly in uniform. My problem is with the inconsistent use of their policy and their discrimination against military personnel especially when traveling on orders. Often for travel, I do not have a known return date for my travel, so when I have to switch last minute and southwest is the only available option, I am forced to check in hours before a flight, which means I am normally the last to board. I do not have this issue with other airlines as they do not place military in the last boarding group just because.  However, my major problem with this airline is their discrimination against military. When I do check in to get a decent boarding group, I end up having to go back to the counter as they can never seem to properly verify me as military (even though I show my idea multiple times prior to boarding). And no they can't verify you at the gate. So I am the last person on the plane just because I am traveling on military orders. Military should fly Southwest as a last resort in my opinion. I recommend it for families with children under 6 though.

krafty81
Adventurer C

Previous comment makes no sense. I am a 34 year veteran. I traveled on SW on orders all the time. Check in 24 hours prior, you are set. I did not look for extra favors. If I had to change a flight, SW phone rep always asked if I was military and I got a break. "Verifying" someone as military is meaningless. You board according to your number. I would urge people that think that airlines "owe them" something because they wear a uniform to get over themselves. We serve our country, not the other way around.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Well said @krafty81!!

And, as an aside, if you purchase EB and/or get lucky enough to get A group when you check in, this becomes a total non-issue. 

--Jessica

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

@krafty81 wrote:

Previous comment makes no sense. I am a 34 year veteran. I traveled on SW on orders all the time. Check in 24 hours prior, you are set. I did not look for extra favors. If I had to change a flight, SW phone rep always asked if I was military and I got a break. "Verifying" someone as military is meaningless. You board according to your number. I would urge people that think that airlines "owe them" something because they wear a uniform to get over themselves. We serve our country, not the other way around.

Owed something? No. Other than respect. And US Companies, and every US Citizen should, in my opinion, do all we can to demonstrate that respect at every opportunity. I never had the honor of service myelf but I wouldn't mind at all seeing all active and retired military and their friends and family traveling with them to board first, no uniforms required.

Brian126aa
Explorer B

I believe it is more about setting a policy and sticking to it.  Each City hub seems to treat customers (military or other) as they see fit.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're saddened to hear that you feel this way, @Jmess . As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to reach out to us via offical channels.

Thank you,

Nicole Ashley

Community Manager

Nicole
Community Manager

Brian126aa
Explorer B

Southwest 

@NicoleAshley wrote:

We're saddened to hear that you feel this way, @Jmess . As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to reach out to us via offical channels.

Thank you,

Nicole Ashley

Community Manager

Southwest solutions.   Is it that hard to publish a policy and stick to it??  Each hub has a different policy  for Military travelers. 

colt1
Explorer C

I agree, your military boarding policy is ignorant and uneducated, get with the times. As a Soldier we also are not allowed to  board in uniform for security purposes. Ill be sure to discourage all my Soldiers from utilizing your antiquated systems from this point forward intil you get with the times