Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Military ID Requirements for Kids

mfelux
Explorer C

When we booked our flight, the agent told us that every passenger receiving a military fare was required to show their military ID. However, three of the four passengers on this trip are kids - 5 years old, and two 5 month olds. They don't have military IDs.... will they really require them to have military IDs when the military itself allows them to go on base under our own military id?

I was under the impression that as long as I show their birth certificates and my military ID, we should be ok - it definitely proves they are dependents.

6 REPLIES 6

Military ID Requirements for Kids

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Let me, first of all, thank you for your service, you're a better person than I.  I'm not in the military nor ever have been.  But had a father, two brothers, and multiple relatives who have been, so it's not like I'm totally in the dark.  I do find it a bit odd that your thinking that your children would qualify for a military discount while not being in the military.  This might be apples to oranges, but I wouldn't expect a cashier to give everybody in my party the senior 10% discount on our meal because I qualify.  Do I wish that you could get this discount, yes!!  I think the military is underappreciated in terms of small benefits of appreciation.  I start getting a senior discount for flying in a year, and if I book myself and 5 others on the same booking, I'm not expecting those that are not seniors on my booking to get the discount.  Again, thanks for your service.

Re: Military ID Requirements for Kids

mfelux
Explorer C

I appreciate your reply, however, I never feel entitled to special discounts and fares because my husband is in the military. Though I do appreciate when companies offer the entire family a break on expenses when the military is requiring the entire family to move across the country. It is our entire family's household expenses that suffer due to a military PCS - move - that we didn't necessarily ask for, not just my husband's. The agent offered the fares for all of our family, not just my husband, I did not expect it. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Since I was not entirely certain Southwest actually offered a military fare I did some reading.  One site mentioned using a dependent ID card for family members, but only when not traveling with the actual member of the military.  I highly doubt there will be a requirement for such young children, but you yourself may need a dependent card even if traveling with the military member.

I do hope you compared the fare price to the Wanna Get Away fare before you purchased.  Southwest offers a senior fare, but it's a discounted Anytime fare and usually costs more than the Wanna Get Away fare.  It does come with additional cancellation and refund capabilities which can be nice if you need that, but most people are just fine with the Wanna Get Away fare.  I would be surprised if any other fare is lower than the Wanna Get Away fare.  If price is your only factor then you should definitely compare.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@TheMiddleSeat Noted.  Thanks, I hadn't compared fares.  

mfelux
Explorer C

I hope that is the case! With my twins being infants and my sleep deprivation, I didn't even think of that.... 😔 

I know I will have my dependent ID on me for sure when I'm flying. I will also have all three of my kids' birth certificates. 

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

Stick to your guns.

Good Luck!

I am a Sailor