Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Mobile Boarding Pass not always available?

Explorer C

All: 

I use android and have no trouble having my boarding pass sent to me via text.

HOWEVER, on both the iPhones in my family, we do not receive any texts from swa, ever.  Have never been able to text ourselves a boarding pass.

What is up?

BTW, this is not operator error....we are very mobile literate.....I write mobile apps....

Thx.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hello Everyone,

As we continue to look into the issues that are being brought up with Mobile Boarding Passes, we need just a little more information to fully understand the challenges. 

Please copy and paste, from below, the list that applies to your situation into a private message and send it to me with your answers filled out. We really appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work to bring you solutions on the Community! 

If Customer is using desktop to access southwest.com, fill out the following:

• Name:
  • Rapid Rewards #:
  • Confirmation #:
  • Browser type and version:
  • Description of the irregularity:
  • What error messages/reference codes have you received?
  • How long have you seen this irregularity?
  • Screenshots?

If Customer is using a mobile device, fill out the following:

• Name:
  • Rapid Rewards #:
  • Confirmation #:
  • What device do you have? Android, iOS, Windows Phone. What version?
  • Are you using the App or Mobile Web? If the App, what version?
  • Description of the irregularity:
  • What error messages/reference codes have you received?
  • How long have you seen this irregularity?
  • Screenshots? 

rsaritzky
Explorer C

Hi Lindsey,

Another user who cannot  get mobile boarding passes for a single confirmation number with 2 travelers (myself and wife). For your info requested, I tried both Samsung Galaxy S6 and Window 10 PC.  On S6

If Customer is using mobile device to access southwest.com, fill out the following:

• Browser type and version: Google Chrome for Android; Also same message on Southwest app for Android
  • Description of the irregularity:  When requesting boarding passes, receive message "Please visit kisok or ticket counter for your baording passes, or print them by visiting Southwest.com on a desktop"
  • How long have you seen this irregularity Saw it today and yesterday (10/14/16)
  • Screenshots? - can't send screenshot to you via the community.

If Customer is using a mobile device, fill out the following:

• Browser: Google Chrome and Windows (Windows 10)
  • Description of the irregularity:  No choice to download or email electronic boarding passes - just the "Check In" button. When clicked, the boarding passes appear on the screen.  No option except to "return"

Ron

LindseyD

Hey Everyone, 

Thank you to all who have submitted their info to me in a private message. I have compiled it and sent it to our mobile team. I'll keep you updated as we take a look at this issue.

Just a reminder, those of you who are not able to get a mobile boarding pass for a reservation with more than one person on it -  that is NOT an error. That's one of the known limitations of mobile boarding passes. 

theorbo
Explorer C

@LindseyD wrote:

Just a reminder, those of you who are not able to get a mobile boarding pass for a reservation with more than one person on it -  that is NOT an error. That's one of the known limitations of mobile boarding passes. 

Ok, thanks for reiterating this point, however, in my eyes this puts SWA at a competitive disadvantage as this is terribly annoying and unexpected behavior, especially for an airline that I've always considered to be slightly ahead of the curve in terms of tech.

Lindsey, where do you recommend we direct our complaints about this? This is extremely disappointing!  Would your team be able to shed some light on whether this feature is being developed? Or can you let us know if a final decision has been made to NOT offer the ability for people traveling on the same reservation to have e-boarding passes?

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop!

LindseyD

Hi @theorbo,

I haven't given up on this topic yet - especially since it continues to garner so much attention in the Community. I am taking the feedback I've received so far to some different groups to learn more about mobile boarding passes and whether we could implement the requests that you and other Customers have made. I will update this thread as I get more information!

jmrowenjc
Explorer C

Let me add my vote here - we fly United and do it every flight; Americam... You are seriously handicapping yourselves. This can be done, everyone else can do it.

Please get this done!

morpheoush
Explorer C

I would like to add my thoughts to this complex issue.

In traveling often with multiple folks on a single reservation, the inability to send boarding passes to a mobile device is, in my opinion, a solution to a problem that does not solve anything and instead creates new problems.  

The issue with folks having the wrong boarding pass is an issue every day.  There are announcements about making sure you have the right boarding pass in hand, and yet when you walk up to the front desk with 3 kids in your party and a layover, you inevitably get at least 1 screwup on which kid has which piece of paper.  Would it be better on a device? Yes, actually.

If I could have prepared each phone or tablet with an image before I even got to the airport, all I would have had to do was have the kid present that and I would have a better chance of getting it right.  I can't say that there won't still be mistakes, but you have a better chance of it.

To simply dismiss the option of a mobile-optimized image is silly.

I work-around the issue by saving the boarding pass as a pdf, store it on my phone, and pull it up when i get to the front.  it works, but it's cumbersome because you have to zoom in and situate the barcode right.  

I would like to see the option to send each boarding pass on a reservation:

1. All to the same phone

2. Each boarding pass to a specified device or email

I would also recommend not limiting it to a text message, but rather to email or text. that way you can pull it up on a tablet that doesn't have a phone #.

Just some thoughts to add to the pile.  Hopefuly this helps the discussion.

thanks

Anjistar
Explorer C

Cf  the apps of low cost UK airlines Ryanair & Easyjet.

I always do all the bookings for myself & my husband

They are saved in-app, accessible anywhere. Open the app and click Boarding Passes. 1st boarding pass comes up, swipe left to get the 2nd one, right to go back to the first one.

Easy.

SwampBuck
Explorer C

Hi Lindsey,

When the limitation will be removed? 

Thanks.