Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mobile application for Android 5.x no longer working?

jlewis39
Explorer C

I've been using the SWA mobile application for a few years, and its always worked fine.  Tried to use it today, it says its no longer supported on my device, please download the latest version.  Went to Google PlayStore, tried to download it, GPS says it's not supported on my device.  I'm on Android 5.x and CANNOT upgrade my OS.  When will SWA release a patch to their application to fix this.?Seems like poor planning to drop application support for an installed customer base.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mobile application for Android 5.x no longer working?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Unfortunately, as Android and IOS operating systems eveolve apps that worked on previous versions won't work on the newest updates

Since far more people use the newer versions of operating systems, apps are updated to work on the newer versions of the operating systems. That produces the opposite effect :a lack of backward compatability.

Regretably, your  only option is to update your device to one that uses a newer version of the operating system than 5.x.

Sorry.

Re: Mobile application for Android 5.x no longer working?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Another option is to use the Southwest mobile website, which includes most (if not all) of the same capabilities as the app.