Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

More Exit Row issues🥺

Catchels99
Explorer C

I just got off of a SWA flight from Austin to Houston. During the pre-board announcement the gate agent   stated that anyone OVER the age of 50 should NOT sit in the exit row as capable people are needed to assist in case of emergency. Umm…I feel a more appropriate statement would have addressed ‘physical limitations’ that might render someone unable to help in an emergency rather than make the assumption that those of us over 50 aren’t physically (or mentally???) capable. This man seemed to be going off script with this statement and I think  recommendations such as that one need to be SWA policy rather than the on the whim of one   agent. 
Sincerely,

A fit, fifty-something, female Registered Nurse who, by the way, is used to dealing with emergencies

12 REPLIES 12

Re: More Exit Row issues🥺

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That does seem to be off script and it's worth writing to Southwest directly to let them know about it. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. Be sure to include the specific flight details so they can address the concern with the crew. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

If the gate agent actually announced that "over 50" was a restriction, they are in violation of Federal laws covering discrimination.  I would contact their office and demand accountability for such blatant disregard for persons "over 50".

It is us that are "over 50" that have all of the money and buy stock in Southwest Airlines so that they can operate.  At least we used to until the Holiday DISASTER effectively wiped out a year's worth of earnings.   

My suggestion is to file a complaint and demand accountability.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

If the gate agent actually announced that "over 50" was a restriction, they are in violation of Federal laws covering discrimination.  I would contact their office and demand accountability for such blatant disregard for persons "over 50".

@floridaguy Are you actually serious???  Please tell me you're just being annoying and not serious.  Age discrimination laws only apply to hiring and employment practices.  Why do you continue to post such nonsense???

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

No, they do not.  However, please believe whatever makes you happy.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

No, they do not.  However, please believe whatever makes you happy.

@floridaguy ok Mr. Legal Expert, please show me one example where age discrimination laws apply to something other than employment or hiring.  They certainly do not apply to where you can sit on a plane.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy SIGH!!!  Did you actually read that???  It's ALL about employment.

"your employer refuses to allow you"

"you are not eligible to be promoted"

"during a training session at work"

"your colleague complains of being called a 'wrinkly' at work"

Please, please, please GO AWAY

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy  you also missed this part at the top of the article:

Which countries is it relevant to?
Great Britain

Stop trolling the Community!!!

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@floridaguy  you also missed this part at the top of the article:

Which countries is it relevant to?
Great Britain

Now that is pretty funny.

floridaguy is quite the tool! (or is it fool?)

LOL!