Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Multiple Flight Segments

samuelkrause
Explorer C

I’m flying on New Years, and due to an error on the SWA website, I had to break up my 2 flights into 2 different reservations. When I arrive in STL after the first flight, can I just pull up my next reservations boarding pass on my phone, or do I have to exit the terminal and check in at the counter?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Multiple Flight Segments

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

You should be able to get them within 24 hours regardless of whether you flown the first flight yet.  I don’t think that the computer knows it is basically a connection; instead, it should treat them like two different one-way flights.

But in any case you do not have to exit the secured terminal area.  Just don’t check bags!

Please report back on when you were able to get the boarding passes.

Ancadgel
Explorer C

Curious how this trip turned out....Were you able to just go to your next gate?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@samuelkrause wrote:

I’m flying on New Years, and due to an error on the SWA website, I had to break up my 2 flights into 2 different reservations. When I arrive in STL after the first flight, can I just pull up my next reservations boarding pass on my phone, or do I have to exit the terminal and check in at the counter?

Check in at t-24 for each flight separately, and either print or save the mobile boarding passes to your phone. In STL just get yourself to the connecting flight's departure gate as you would if it were booked as a single itinerary (no need to exit the terminal).

If you check bags, ask the agent to check them all they way through to your final destination. I'd recommend allowing some extra time to do this. If you run into any issues with that (some agents are better at understanding what is necessary to do so than others), as for a supervisor. Worst case scenario, if they're somehow unable to check your bags all the way through, you will need to go to bag claim in STL to pick up your bags and recheck them to your final destination -- but that's unlikely.

Just curious: What caused you to have to book separate flights instead of a connecting itinerary?

samuelkrause
Explorer C

I had already booked a portion of the trip, but needed to change one of the flights and it would not let me for some reason and kept giving me an error, so I had to call SWA for them to change it and that is what the lady did. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The price may have gone up since you originally booked and they didn’t want to let that economical segment get away for you. That’s one thing I can think of.

Not sure what triggers the error online, maybe related to how you originally booked. Anyway, you should be fine to travel as arranged.

how long is the layover in STL?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

Was your original booking made over the phone? I have noticed the couple times i booked flights over the phone i can't change the flight on the web. 

I also know some cases when you book point to point reservations it may not let you change your flight online.