Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Multiple Mobil Boarding Passes

ronnpj
Explorer B

I don't understand why this topic has been shown as resolved when numerous customers are still asking for a satisfactory resolution.

Basically, the issue for me is getting mobil boarding passess for me and my wife when we travel together without making separate reservations for the flight.

If Southwest does not intend to implement this capability comparable to all other airlines, all I ask is for a courteous response explaining why.

Please...?

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Multiple Mobil Boarding Passes

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @ronnpj,

Our Mobile Team knows that this is a passion point for our Customers, and they've been very interested in the feedback that has come from the Southwest Community - rest assured your requests are being heard and being seriously considered.

kah
Explorer C

I've read that Southwest had problems with people mistakenly using the pass of their traveling companion, causing slowdowns at check-in, so their response was simply to eliminate mobile boarding passes for reservations with more than one person. But really, fixing the "only one pass per phone" problem isn't that hard: just add a separate text field for an individual phone number or email address next to each name, and if separate numbers/addresses aren't given for each person, bounce the check-in until they are furnished or a print option is selected. This isn't hard. This is the age of convenience, and not being able to have a mobile boarding pass is especially a hassle on the return trip, when one either has to look for a hotel printer or wait in long lines at the airport. This is also the age of conservation, and Southwest is forcing customers to create more paper waste. Thumbs down to Southwest for not prioritizing a simple problem that I've solved in thirty seconds. Southwest's IT department certainly can innovate when $$$ are involved: upgrade your seat; buy EarlyBird check-in, get on the A-List. But a small innovation that helps passengers doesn't make the cut?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest never offered mobile boarding passes for multiple passenger itineraries, so that was never an issue, and they never "eliminated" anything. 😉

(Also, they don't offer a way to "upgrade your seat" or "get on the A-List" using the app.)

But your point is well taken. This is absolutely something Southwest should offer.

spaciwithani
Explorer C

"being considered" is a polite way of saying nothing, with all due respect. Is the option for mobile boarding passes for multiple people interaries in the works of happening? Or is this topic not going to be resolved? If it is in the works....any idea as to the target date?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Since a change anytime soon seems unlikely, one work-around is to book individual itineraries for each passenger.

wralston
Explorer C

But yet here we are in March and it still isn't fixed!  Not feeling the love at all.  Jetblue, American, and Delta all seem to have found ways to do it.  I suppose we could start calling customer service everytime my family flies to have the multiple-passenger itinerary split into multiple separate records so we can use mobile boarding passes? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest is in the middle of a booking system changeover, and I suspect those challenges will require all their IT energy for the next few months. One hopes that once this is complete they can address long requested issues like mobile boarding passes for multi-passenger itineraries.

In general, it's always a good idea to book individual one-way itineraries. There are many benefits related to lowest cost, flexibility and ease of itinerary changes. The only significant negative is the need for separate check-in.

abackus001
Explorer C

Any update here - I am really shocked that this is at a standstill.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest is currently dealing with the multitude of issues created by the conversion to the new booking system, so I suspect this dropped even further down the priority list. Keep in mind that they were several years behind other carriers in even offering mobile boarding passes in the first place.