Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Multiple Passengers, One Itinerary, Mobile Boarding Pass

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @scbaker,

Our Technology Department is hard at work making improvements that will create an optimal boarding process for all our Customers. We know that multi-Customer mobile boarding passes are a high priority for our Customer, and that makes it a high priority for us too. I don't have any specific dates for when this will be available, but I can assure you that we're working on it. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Just gonna repeat what I said in April:

Unfortunately, many issues are being put on the back burner while Southwest completes the conversion to the new "next generation reservation system," and the associated issues that has created. Also, keep in mind that Southwest was one of the last carriers to adopt mobile boarding passes in the first place, so it's unlikely the bugs will be completely worked out and/or full functionality implemented anytime soon.

JuliaM
Explorer C

If I'm understanding this correctly, when I check in for my upcoming flight I have to check in my husband separately? Does it need to be on a separate (mobile?) device as well? Will we be emailed boarding passes to print or only have access on the mobile device? I'd appreciate more website/email instructions on this process and our options. Thanks.

twolegsbad
Explorer C

One year later and the SW air tech team has still not made this possible. Need to get working faster on this app

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@twolegsbad wrote:

One year later and the SW air tech team has still not made this possible. Need to get working faster on this app

This actually is now possible (actually, it has been for a couple of weeks). You'll need the latest version of the app.

Are mobile boarding passes available for multiple passenger reservations?

A logged in user who is on a multiple passenger reservation who is eligible can obtain their own mobile boarding pass within the Southwest app or on the Southwest mobile website. Non-logged in users on a multiple passenger reservation will need to visit a kiosk or print their passes on a desktop computer.

HGolden
Explorer C

I'm curious to know when SW started giving multiple passengers a single confirmation code? We've booked flights with SW for many years, and it is only with this trip that each passenger was not given their own confirmation code (aka, separate itinerary). 

For anyone who might suggest that I'm misremembering, I am not. I went back and looked at every SW flight we've ever booked as a family (this girl needs to clean out her inbox). Every other flight, we were each given our own confirmation codes.

Is this because it was only 2 of us this time? (We are all traveling together, but my husband's is through his employer and my daughter is his companion. So I booked the other two together.) I didn't see an option when booking to separate our itineraries, and we've never had to think about this in the past. I've always booked all of our tickets at once; I've never bought each one separately. We've booked with miles and with a card and gotten individual confirmation codes every time.

I'm pretty irked. I hate having to keep track of scraps of paper when flying with kids. I was even willing to put up with the hassle of 4 confirmation codes at check-in in order to get mobile passes.

After a record profit in 2016, I would think the company could put a few more resources towards this problem. -_-

laccal
Explorer C

While it's non-trivial, it's possible.  I just checked in two of us on my phone.  It said I had to go to a kiosk or desktop to get a boarding pass.  I was bummed and called my companion.  She logged in and was able to get a mobile pass.  I then logged out of the app, put it away, re-launched, logged back in, checked in, and voila--my own pass.

Hope this helps...

-L-

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest officially still says that this is not possible. I'm wondering if this is perhaps yet another infamous Southwest glitch, one that actually benefits the customer for a change. 😉

eiuasa
Explorer C

H Golden...YES!! This is absolutely the problem. I can get a mobile boarding pass for myself, but now that my husband and my 3 kids' itineraries are all tied to one confirmation code I cannot get mobile boarding passes for the rest of them. I can check them all in, and I can print boarding passes for them from home, but I cannot get separate mobile boading passes for them on my phone. VERY ANNOYING!!!! Go back to the old way if you cannot figure out a way to give multiple boarding passes from one confirm code. I'd much rather have 5 confirm codes and mobile boarding passes!

Gardener1234
Explorer C

That's strange.  I've flown Southwest for years as well, and have never ever seen individual confirmation codes for passengers on the same itinerary. I have always pulled up all passengers under the single code they provide for the reservation.