Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Need tips from people who have flown with dogs

smorty11
Explorer C

Just booked my flight to go home for the summer with Southwest. Before the ban, i flew with my dog for many years as ESA. She’s a legitimate ESA that was recommended by my doctor for my disability (not a fake that people pay for). Her letter refers her as a psychiatric service animal, but I definitely don’t treat her as one, and I haven’t had her trained to the extent of a service animal other than things she does on her own (like deep pressure therapy and tactile stimulation) so I think I’d rather just bring her as a carry on pet then stress about her being accepted as a service animal. She hasn’t been in a crate since she was a puppy so I’m a bit nervous on how she will do with it. How strict are they with the dog being “outside” of the carrier? I bought one where the top can be unzipped so she can have her head out. I think as long as she can see me she will do fine.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Need tips from people who have flown with dogs

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The policy states the pet must remain entirely in the carrier:

• Pets must be secured in the pet carrier at all times while in the gate area, during boarding/deplaning, and they must remain in the carrier for the entire duration of the flight. Failure to follow this requirement may result in denial of transportation of the pet onboard Southwest Airlines.
  • Cats and dogs must remain in the carrier (including head and tail) and the carrier must be stowed under the seat in front of the Customer (owner) for the entire duration of the flight.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/traveling-with-animals/pets/index-pol.html

You should not plan on anything other than what the policy states.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Need tips from people who have flown with dogs

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Nvm