Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Nervous mom- Family Boarding?

EUGBUR
Explorer A

I am flying EUG to BUR and back with my 5 year old and 7 year old by myself. This is my first time using Southwest and I'm incredibly nervous. I know we qualify for Family Boarding between A and B but I have no frame of reference for this. What are our chances of getting to sit together? We don't care at all what row, just together. I'm so nervous we'll be split up. I called customer service and they were useless. I was going to get Early Bird but all the articles said not to bother because it'd likely be a B or C boarding. Can someone please share some advice or reassurance?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Nervous mom- Family Boarding?

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest offers Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding.

• Up to two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding.
  • If the child and adults are all holding “A” boarding passes, they should board in their assigned boarding position rather than waiting for Family Boarding

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Just adding my two cents to put your mind at ease...

Finding an empty row of three seats is extremely likely during Family Boarding.  Be sure to be in the right place (just ask at the counter), and ready to board, after the entire A group boards.  In my opinion, and as you already know, you would be wasting your money on Early Bird.

Have a fun trip in Southern California!

EUGBUR
Explorer A

Thank you very much!! 

EUGBUR
Explorer A

Thank you for deleting your first cruel, thoughtless, and incorrect comment but my question wasn't about the policy. Best of luck finding happiness in life so you don't harass concerned mothers on an airline message board.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@EUGBUR wrote:

Thank you for deleting your first cruel, thoughtless, and incorrect comment but my question wasn't about the policy. Best of luck finding happiness in life so you don't harass concerned mothers on an airline message board.

@floridaguy making friends everyday

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

My personal life and friends are beyond the scope of this discussion.

I, like many people here, grow weary of people making choices and then present to the world needing help.

Recently, I was part of a conversation where the individual indicated that it "wasn't fair" that the amount of benefit that I will receive from Social Security is 4X their own.  This person also suggested that it "wasn't fair" that I'll have as much income in retirement as during my working years.

Like others, I made life choices and my Social Security expected payment will be the max in today's dollars.  That's due to my earnings over my working life and the fact that I maximized my 401k over the years also makes a difference.  I didn't blow my money on nonsense and today live comfortably.

So, while some would say that it "isn't fair", I see it as totally fair as I made decisions over my lifetime that were accountable.  

Now, if I'm looking for a guarantee that I will sit beside someone, even a child, I'm going to buy a ticket on an airline with assigned seating instead of trying to find some workaround.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy maybe just stay out of the conversation if you can't be nice and offer value. Is that too much to ask?

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest's policy on family boarding was copied/pasted to the response.

You are not the moderator.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Southwest's policy on family boarding was copied/pasted to the response.

Your answer provided no value and did not address the OP's questions. At least were smart enough to delete your original, hurtful response. I'd love to send it to a moderator. 

--TheMiddleSeat