Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New Online Upgraded Boarding

JulieB
Explorer C

In the past, I've bought upgraded boarding at the check-in desk or gate agent on day of flight, but now Southwest has just announced that you can buy 24 hours in advance online.

I've read the FAQs, but it doesn't give the actual logistics of how to do it.  Do you need to first check in at 24 hours, then go to a separate link to buy the upgraded boarding?  Or will there be an option right on the check-in page?  Just wondering if anyone has used it yet or will give it a try in the next few days and could provide feedback?

I've got a long flight to Hawaii next week and intend to buy upgraded boarding and I want the best shot at getting the best position and not get shut out. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: New Online Upgraded Boarding

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

From the FAQ:

When available, Upgraded Boarding can easily be added to a reservation when checking in for a flight via the Southwest® app or Southwest.com

Open the Southwest app and select the “Check-In” icon at the bottom of the screen. Enter the confirmation number and verify the flight information displayed is correct. When available, the Upgraded Boarding position option is located below “View Boarding Pass.” Once selected and as available, Upgraded Boarding can be added to one or more flight segments in the itinerary.

On Southwest.com, navigate to the “Check-In” window and enter the confirmation number. The Upgraded Boarding option is displayed below the flight’s itinerary.

--TheMiddleSeat

JulieB
Explorer C

Just wanted to provide a follow-up on my upgraded boarding experience. 

On our flight out to Hawaii, it was 100% sold out prior to the 24-hour check in time.  When we checked it, it did NOT give me an option to upgrade to A1-A15.  Worse yet, even though we checked in exactly 24 hours before the flight, we got stuck with the C boarding group! I assume that most passengers must have purchased early bird, so they filled all the rest of the A's and many of the B's. Not what we hoped for on a 6 hour flight!

HOWEVER, when we arrived at the airport the next day and got to the gate, we inquired if there was any priority boarding available for purchase. We figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Lo and behold, there were some available and we purchase the boarding passes (A5. A6)  My guess is that there must have been some last minute cancellations of Business Select passengers, resulting in some open spots.  So don't assume there is no availability, even if there's initially none at check-in.  We got 2 of the exit row seats and it made the long flight much more comfortable.

On the flight home from Hawaii, at the 24-hour check in, there was an option on the check-in screen to upgrade to A1-A15 seats, which we did. Even though I have my SW credit card saved on the Southwest website, I was using the app on my phone and I needed to re-enter the CC data, so it took a little more effort than just clicking a button, but again well worth it.  When we boarded the next day, we found that the flight was only about 95% full. Again, we got the exit row and we lucked out with an empty seat in our row. (We did not try to block or discourage anyone from taking the seat, but the flight attendant was standing in our row during boarding and I think people either don't notice or don't want to ask them to move.)

floridaguy
Aviator C

Good to know.

I preboard so no need for an early check in.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@JulieB thanks for the trip report. On flights to Hawaii you are not only getting EarlyBird purchasers, but many people are connecting from earlier flights which allows them to check in 24 hours prior to their first flight which may be several hours before the check-in time for people not connecting.

--TheMiddleSeat