Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New flyer

Edhmom
Explorer C

I am looking to book a flight out of PIT to FLL next April over Easter. It will be myself and my son. Neither of us have flown. Any pointers would be appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: New flyer

dfwskier
Aviator A

I guess the first pointer is that you can't buy you ticket yet. Southwest only lets passengers buy tickets u to 6-7 months before departure. Try in September.

Also, seach this blog fo information about first time fliers. There are several post that you will find usefull

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Edhmom wrote:

I am looking to book a flight out of PIT to FLL next April over Easter. It will be myself and my son. Neither of us have flown. Any pointers would be appreciated. 

How old is your son? I've been waiting weeks for someone to ask about family travel instead of refunds and cancelations!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

How old is your son? I've been waiting weeks for someone to ask about family travel instead of refunds and cancelations!

Wish I could love this post more than one time. @DancingDavidE will hook you up with all the good family travel advice!

--TheMiddleSeat

Edhmom
Explorer C

At the time of flight, he will be 7. I have been tired of seeing the cancelling comments as well. How much should we pack? I was thinking of using packing cubes and one suitcase and then use the other suitcase for souvenirs or whatever. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@Edhmom How fun! First-time flying is exciting and a little scary!

Here are a few valuable reads you might enjoy:

Even though SW has a generous checked bag policy, I would pack just what you need to get by.

@DancingDavidE has lots more to share, I'm sure!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Edhmom wrote:

At the time of flight, he will be 7. I have been tired of seeing the cancelling comments as well. How much should we pack? I was thinking of using packing cubes and one suitcase and then use the other suitcase for souvenirs or whatever. 

I love having two free checked bags! (per person) Depending on how long you are going for that would generally be ample. We have a WDW duffel bag that collapses which we always bring for either overflow items that we pick up along the way - souvenirs go in the real suitcase and dirty laundry into the duffel bag.

If we don't need it, then it stays inside the suitcase also. 

Family boarding is for 6 and under, so you may need to have a plan in place for boarding, you might choose to get an upgraded option, or else don't be shy if you for some reason are boarding late in the process to ask for someone to move around if needed. If no one does, enlist the help of the flight attendant.

Definitely try to check in at exactly 24 hours prior to your flight to get the best boarding positions. 

This is a tough one in some ways, a lot can change before your flight. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.