Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New to A-List. Companion Question?

adsjayhawk
Explorer C

When I check in for my A-List flight does my companion get same/similar 36 hour boarding spot reserved as well?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: New to A-List. Companion Question?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

While not officially announced there is some evidence that Companion Pass holders companions are getting boarding positions next to/near the pass holder's position.  This does not appear to be anything related to A-List.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C
Solution

My companion is always 1 behind me.  We are both A list... not sure if that matters. 

dcb322dcb
Explorer C
Solution

I hold A-List and a Companion Pass and my wife also has a Companion pass (no A-List).  My named companion is Child #1 and my wife's named companion is Child #2.  As of my December 2020 trip and subsequent trips in 2021, my companion (Child #1) will get A-List boarding with me even though it is a separate reservation # and will be 1 number behind my boarding.  My wife will also get A-List boarding with me only if I book her ticket with mine (same reservation number), she'll be 2 boarding numbers behind me and her companion (Child #2) will be 3 boarding numbers behind me.  

So for my last trip in July 2021, we had 3 reservation numbers (1 for myself and wife, 1 for child #1, 1 for child #2) and we were all automatically checked in with A-List boarding and got A22-25.    And for a trip in June 2021 we were A17-20.  

However if my wife and I are on separate reservation # (i.e. I booked mine on points and hers with $, etc), A-List wouldn't apply to her or Child #2 and they would both have to check in manually and separately.   

When I didn't have A-List previously, my named companion/child #1 would have to check in separately and boarding number would be dependent on how quickly you could check both in and it was usually a few numbers away.   Not an issue as we would all just board with family boarding most of the time as we would get B boarding group. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

But not if you buy a Business Select fare, these don't follow the same position assignment algorithm as regularly checking-in (with or without A-list).

@adsjayhawk wrote:

When I check in for my A-List flight does my companion get same/similar 36 hour boarding spot reserved as well?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

zellchat
Explorer C

We have a business select fare for my husband traveling from Aruba.  Aruba airport is very busy (must arrive 3-4 hours pre flight), and I understand he can use the Fly By lane to check in.  I have the free companion ticket, can I also use the Fly By to check in?  Also, we cannot check in or get boarding passes flying from Aruba prior to arriving at the airport since we have to show negative Covid test.  Does that mean he will be A1-15 and I will be same as everyone else since we can't check in 24 hours prior?  We did not purchase early bird since we have a great business select fare for main ticket, but would early bird help me in this case?  Thank you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I could be totally wrong but I don't think you'll find Aruba to be that busy since Southwest doesn't actually have a large number of flights there. Regardless, you are not entitled to the fly by benefit since you are not flying on a Business Select fare. You will need to check-in to receive your boarding position which will be in the general boarding group. I do believe you can check in 24 hours prior to before departure to get a boarding position, then show proof of negative test at the airport. You could purchase EarlyBird as long as departure is more than 36 hours away.

--TheMiddleSeat